THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Scope for Savage M12 in 204 Ruger?? **Additional**
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for Savage M12 in 204 Ruger?? **Additional**
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
1+ for the Vortex Viper. I love the one that I have on my 300 Wby.

You could also look at the Vortex Viper PST in 4-16x with the first focal plane and the EBR-1 reticle for $850. That way you could run your load through a ballistic calculator and dial for drop. If the wind is blowing, adjust the elevation and use the windage marks on the reticle for compensation.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by touchdown88:
1+ for the Vortex Viper. I love the one that I have on my 300 Wby.

You could also look at the Vortex Viper PST in 4-16x with the first focal plane and the EBR-1 reticle for $850. That way you could run your load through a ballistic calculator and dial for drop. If the wind is blowing, adjust the elevation and use the windage marks on the reticle for compensation.

Touchdown,
Thanks man...that Vortex looks perfect!

Could you please read my last post on page 1 of this thread and tell me if I am correct with what I am thinking regarding 1/4" Clicks?

Thanks so much!

Almost forgot...are those 10, 20, markings on that Vortex reticule refering to 10mph and 20mph wind speeds?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
Leopardtrack,

If you had to compensate for 3 MOA on a scope that has 1/4 MOA adjustments, you would adjust 12 clicks then hold dead on. If the drop chart said 3.8 MOA, adjust for 3.75 MOA and you should be pretty close.

Now to the scope that has .10 mil clicks. A mil will equal 3.6 inches at 100 yds. So a .10 mil click will be roughly 1/3 MOA. It is not as fine as the 1/4 MOA clicks, but the justification comes with less clicks when you adjust for elevation.

The numbers on the reticle are refering to mils or MOA. A small hash mark is .5 MOA or mils and the larger hash is 1.0 MOA or mils. The ballistic calculator should have a column for wind adjustment also. This is when you want the hash marks on the horizontal cross hair. Instead of using adjusting by clicks for wind, just hold the cross hair into the wind at the the correct hash mark and let her fly!

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LT:

With JBM you can actually tell it what you want for your drop table. I believe the defalt is Inches, then MOA.
A typical scope with target knobs will be labeled. So if you elevation adjustment is 3 MOA, turn it to the 3, which will be 12 clicks.
I do my tables in 25 yard increments.

Calculated Table
Range Drop Drop Windage Windage Velocity Mach Energy Time Lead Lead
(yd) (in) (MOA) (in) (MOA) (ft/s) (none) (ft•lbs) (s) (in) (MOA)
0 -1.5 *** 0.0 *** 3480.9 3.176 4304.1 0.000 0.0 ***
25 -0.8 -3.2 0.0 0.1 3436.6 3.136 4195.1 0.022 3.8 14.6
50 -0.4 -0.7 0.1 0.2 3392.8 3.096 4088.8 0.044 7.7 14.7

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fellas!!

You all just cost me $899 dollars today, since I just finisshed ordering the Vortex Viper PSD in 6.5x35x 50...1/4" adjustments!

Excited now to enterinto progran and see what happens!

Any last words??

Thanks! Frank

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any last words??

Practice, practice and practice. tu2

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
My buddy Quagmire has a Vortex on a 30-06 and it is an outstanding Scope for where he Hunts. Best of luck with it.

And like Ghubert said, "Practice, practice and practice. tu2"

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First of all, thank you all so much for helping me out!!

OK now...bases and mounts!!

What is simple, strong, and best for my set-up??

BTW The scope is not available until mid May, so I have to wait!

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Ones that fit.

Go practice!

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
What is simple, strong, and best for my set-up??
Only you can decide what is the best for you. That said, I used to use a lot of Redfield Style Bases and Rings. Only problem is the Front Ring is the only one that actually has a Grip on the scope. So, I only have one set left and I Pinned the Rear Ring.

Went to Dual Dovetails. They are OK, but in order to swap a scope it requires taking the set-up all apart. Good chance of dropping tiny screws at the Range and the chance of locating them(for me) would be next to impossible.

Went back to the Original Weaver Bases I used Decades ago along with Burris Signature Z-Rings. If you get a set of the Eccentric inserts, you can "probably" get to your 700yd goal without the need for a Tapered Rail. Plus you can easily swap scopes if you desire and they are as rugged as they come.

Might be a good thread about what everyone uses though.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
OK,

How far away are you planning on shooting that 204?

How much elevation adjustment does your new scope have? Should be listed on the website.

Look up the estimated velocity of your chosen factory (right? you're using factory ammo?) ammo. Enter that into your ballistic program, and you should get a rough number for bullet drop at your longest distance you've chosen for yourself.

This will give you a starting point only, so you will know if you need a canted scope base, or not. The bases are normally offered as "0 MOA", "10 MOA", and "20 MOA". That is the amount of "cant" built into the base. Your scope may have enough internal adjustment in it that you don't need a canted base. It depends on how far you're planning on flinging those bullets.

My 1K rig has a 20 MOA base on it, but my 600 yd rig has a straight 0 MOA base on it. My Viper scope has more internal adjustment in it than my Nightforce does.

As far as rings go, you will just need to match the tube diameter, 1" or 30mm tubes on most scopes today. I believe that Viper you bought has a 30mm tube, but I didn't look it up for you. Then you'll just need to make sure your ring height will allow the scope bell to clear the barrel, and the eye piece to clear the bolt handle when you work the bolt.

I would refrain from getting a cheapo set of mounts. Opinions vary on this, but heavy scopes put a lot of strain on mounts during recoil. My take is to get a quality setup and be done with it.

I like the Warne tactical bases and rings. I have them on 2 of my rigs. You will get as many different opinions on hardware as people you ask.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must be a slummer..

I'd be more than happy with a Leupold VX 3 in 6.5 x 20 x 40 with a Varmint Reticle...

I must be a cheap date... Big Grin

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
I must be a slummer..

I'd be more than happy with a Leupold VX 3 in 6.5 x 20 x 40 with a Varmint Reticle...

I must be a cheap date... Big Grin

Hey if she does the job what? Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
I may have been a bit brusque earlier, basically what I trying to say was that with this chap's combination of components and intended use, pretty much any mount that isn't made of monkey metal by a bunch of resentful communists will do just fine.

It's a light recoiling calibre and a varmint rifle isn't carried and bashed about like a big game rifle.

From what I understand they mainly go 10 feet from the car to the rest and back again.

At this point and with the apparent experience level of the shooter in mind the balance between a $30 scope mount and a $100 scope mount for this purpose would be better spent on ammo and range fees than an rolls-royce mount on a ford rifle and scope that simply doesn't need them.

He'll hit more dogs on account of the practice than the scope mount in my estimation.