Find
Notify
Tools

7 rem mag and 168 gn Sierra MK
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all

I am using a Tikka laminated 7 rem mag (glass bedded the action).

To date the most accurate load has been a norma case, 73 gn of retumbo, Fed mag primer and the sierra 168 gn MK. Velocity is 3000 fps and shoots around 2 inches for 3 shots at four hundred yards.

I have shot 6 deer this Summer/Autumn with the closest at 20 yards and the furthest at 470 yard. The combo seems to work well. I have a drop chart set up to 600 yard (plenty far enough for me!). It is scoped with a Leupod VX7 3.5-14x50.

Is anyone else using the Sierra MK in the 7 rem mag and what are their impressions of it?

Posts: 56 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 01 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've never used Match Kings for hunting but would like to hear details of your results.
Did you get exits and a what distances and did you recover any bullets etc.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a sika stag at approx 20 yards sort of front on and the bullet didn't exit. Deer ran 20 yard and died. I didn't look for the bullet to be honest. The bullet worked well. The others were shot from 40 yards to 470 yards and all exited. Big exit holes - half a fist size. The deer didn't go far and you could see the blood pouring fromthem after the bullet strike. They probably moved no more than 1 to 10 yards.

Posts: 56 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 01 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi there Tommo. I have a Tikka T3 Lite SS/synthetic in 7 rem mag. My load is
67gr RL22, CCI mag primer, Winchester brass with 162 A-Max projectile. I have shot 6 deer since xmas, closest was 15yards away and longest was 755 yards. They all die and rather fast. I like the high BC of the A-Max. Shoots .3s at 100 and still under an inch at 300. Sounds like yours does too. Awesome guns. Cool

7mm Rem mag-162 A-Max
Boom ...splat

Posts: 39 | Location: Taupo New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Taupo, any idea what velocity you are getting with the 67 grs. RL22?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, sorry it took so long to get back to you. 3100fps

7mm Rem mag-162 A-Max
Boom ...splat

Posts: 39 | Location: Taupo New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 168gk may not be a "hunting" bullet, but the fast opening front, and significant mass will get the job done for deer sized targets.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why use that bullet when there are others that are better?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Why use that bullet when there are others that are better?

Because they work

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post