New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elevation adjustments
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello, new here and to long range shooting. My question concerns the click adjustments for my scope which has 1/8" increments. Is there a chart that would show the number of clicks for different ranges? I have chrono'd my final load and know what my drop is starting @ zero @ 100 yards. Thanks, smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your clicks are 1/8" at 100 yards. Therefore, at 200 yards they are going to be close to 1/4" per click, 300 yards will be about 3/8" per click, and so on.

For simplicity's sake, say your load drops 1" at 200 yards from a zero at 100 yards. To zero at at 200 yards, you are going to have to come up four clicks. At 400 yards, your clicks are close to 1/2", so if your load drops 6"; come up 12 clicks and that will get you close.

You'll have to shoot different distances under different conditions to know, but this should get you in the ballpark. Take clear notes as you shoot, so you can develop your drop charts.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks MS, I thought I had it about right by multiplying the distance by .125. Seems that works out. I presently have a printout taped to my scope but it gives drop per 100 and using that for the first time last week proved a little confusing, so I guess all I want to know is how many clicks and not the drop....right?
smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'll need to know the drop to determine the. Number of clicks you need to come up.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find it easier to think in terms of Minute of Angle. Check out this video. It may be helpful to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...D5Tjg&feature=relmfu

Posts: 503 | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, plenty of scopes with 1/8" adjustments are not really 1/8". I would suggest setting up a grid at a known distance (like 100 yards) bolt the scope down to something solid and start cranking the knobs. MOA is often a useful measurement, so if you set up a square of +/- 5 MOA (or 10 MOA or whatever your field of view allows) in AZ and EL then crank the adjustments and see how many "clicks" it really takes to make a given adjustment. While you have this set up you may also want to see if the adjustments are repeatable, often enough they are not. This is part of why long range shooters shell out for expensive optics, so that these adjustments can be made with precision and confidence.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point. I'm sure that the adjustments on my particular scope will not be precise but hair is much better than air.....right?

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 338zmag:
I find it easier to think in terms of Minute of Angle. Check out this video. It may be helpful to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...D5Tjg&feature=relmfu

This Ryan Cleckner guy is excellent! Great instruction w/o any bs.

thanks for the link!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post