New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First of all the gun will be a 6 mm Remington Model 78 with a stainless steal bull barrel and this is how I will be shooting up from my wheelchair.

http://www.beadaptive.com/pages/hq100.htm

Here are some videos of somebody else using it.

http://www.beadaptive.com/index-4.html

So my question is what kind of scope can I get for such a rig and secondly from watching the videos how far do you think I can be accurate with it? The people that I have talked to said they are extremely accurate but I don't know how far they are talking about. Lastly what bullets should I use for dear both mule and Whitetail as well as antelope?

Posts: 517 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Randy, after looking at the pictures my main concern would be the eye relief of the scope. Typical eye relief, even on a Zeiss scope is 3-4 inches maybe? I just can't see (or didn't see) the shooter getting that close to the rifle. Perhaps the manufacturer can tell you what scope they were using for the demo? As to accuracy, if that is a as rigid as it looks it should be as accurate as any rifle from a solid rest.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The handguns that were being shot had pistol scopes which have a longer eye relief but you also get a smaller field of view and typically lower magnification. The Encore might have had a rifle scope, it appears that it did. As far as accuracy, i would think that the setup is quite stable leaving the rest up to you. I've learned that a determined person can accomplish just about anything so if you are willing to put the time into it, i don't see why you cannot hit targets as far out as you want to.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy,

I agree with the other posters about eye relief - if the manufacturer cannot validate using a scope with a standard eye relief on a rifle set-up, I would look to one of the IER scopes that are manufactured for scout rifles and the like. That may serve your purposes better for a scoped rifle to be used from the wheelchair without having to crowd the gun.

Regarding bullet choice, I've shot a bunch of game using the 100gr Remington Core-Lokt's for my 6mm Rem. They've been a very accurate factory load out of my gun and performed well on whitetails.

Good luck and Happy Hunting!

Posts: 43 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: 03 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finding the right scope is going to do the problem. If you have a good idea let me know.

Posts: 517 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post