New
Find
Notify
Tools

SWFA Super Sniper Scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone owned or tried the SWFA Super Sniper scopes.,if so how was the quality.

Posts: 318 | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the stock number SS10X42. I like the scope a lot. It has good clear glass and when you make windage and elevation changes it tracks very well.

The only thing that I do not like is when you make the adjustments the knobs seem "mushy" on my scope. The clicks are not real firm so it's easy to get screwed up. Other than that I like it!!

Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple guys at my range have the 10x version. They seem to like them. I've looked through them, and the optics were clear, but I haven't shot anything with one mounted.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the 20X on my Rem 700HB in 308. Only used it up to 300 yards so far, but will be trying it out at 850 yards this weekend. So far it has been excellent, but I am sure you will find folks who look down their noses at them because they cost less than $1K and must therefore be inferior.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Save your money & buy a Leupold.

The one I had had OK glass, kept adjustments, but the rubber seals kept edging out at the bottom of the turrents, and the clics were very mushy & inconsistant.

Posts: 132 | Location: WI. | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I had one, and it was very nice for the price.

The glass wasn't top grade, but better than expected, and better than my Bushnell 4200 for comparison.

I had the 20x version, it had almost 150 moa of adjustment. The knobs were mushy, but take them apart, scrub off the grease, and install a tighter o-ring and the clicks are perfect.

This thread makes me wish I hadn't sold mine...

Just my opinion, Leupold offers nothing over any other company, and is more expensive. The glass just plain isn't as good as other things in the price range, and the newer models haven't been as reliable for many people. I had a Mark 4 that didn't track true, and the glass was not any better than my Super Sniper. My buddy also had a Mark 4 that wouldn't track. Both of these were 4.5-14x.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just my opinion, Leupold offers nothing over any other company, and is more expensive. The glass just plain isn't as good as other things in the price range

Very true statement. I stopped buying Leupolds a long time ago. I buy mainly European glass now but for the price there is much better glass out there than Leupold. They have great press and outstanding customer service but other than that they are nothing special.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No question there are optics/scopes on the market that have better lenses, features, etc. than perhaps some Leupolds, but keep in mind that there is no such thing as a used Leupold.
Each purchaser of the same scope has the same factory warranty/service as the initial buyer.
Sure other mfg's can/do offer the same type of warranty back up, but another item to keep in mind is that if you visit a gunshow you will see the Leupolds always sell for higher price than comparable used scopes. Some may discount the resale value of the Leupold and that is fine, but fact remains they are sought after from users of scopes.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Sought after from users of scopes, but not nearly as sought after from long range shooters.

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler, how do you do that (take the knobs off etc.). I shot my Rem 700 HB in 308 today at 800 yards. The Super Sniper worked fine, but as you and others have stated the clicks are "mushy". I am glad I had the 20X. Once I can reliably go from 600 to 300 to 800 I will know whether the scope is a keeper or not, but, so far so good.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
You just unscrew the screws that allow you to zero the knobs and pop off the knob. Inside there should be some grease, wipe off most of it. Around the internal knob there should be an O-ring. You can completely take that out, but if you anticipate any water around the scope, put on a tighter one.

Let me know if it works!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the $..No theirs not a better scope! "For the money"! I have and have 10x 16x and the 20x..For a little more than 300$. Its a great scope, shot them for years in Fclass with no regrets!

Troy..

Posts: 155 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post