One of Us
posted
Cooper Jackson Hunter 270 $1879
Warne Bases $20
Leopold PRW Rings $49
Leopold CDS Scope $556
4.5 – 14 X 40 X 40 #120603
Admonition Federal Premium 150 Partition Or Fusion 130

Posts: 517 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you reload? 6.5 or 7mm would give you a lot more good bullet options for long range stuff.

If you're thinking long range, I'd go with different glass. At least for me, I'm better off dialing knobs, and leopold knobs are best left untouched. I've seen 4 of them fail at local matches. You might want more magnification as well.

My $0.02

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess my thoughts are dependent upon what you call long range and how you hunt. If you need a rifle you can carry and make shots out to say 400yds or so I think that set-up will do fine. It would make a dandy general purpose hunting rig.

If we are after a long range rig then I want a different rifle, different cartridge, and different glass.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will be a general hunting rifle with nothing too radical for yardage.

Posts: 517 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
Do you reload? 6.5 or 7mm would give you a lot more good bullet options for long range stuff.

If you're thinking long range, I'd go with different glass. At least for me, I'm better off dialing knobs, and leopold knobs are best left untouched. I've seen 4 of them fail at local matches. You might want more magnification as well.

My $0.02

JPL:

My biggest compliant about Leupold is those set screws coming loose. Never happens on my March and Nightforce scopes.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post