Find
Notify
Tools

Long Distance Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
You're not winning any friends here squire....

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GeeDub, it's strange to say, but I think HotCore was actually trying to pay you a complement. bewildered

It's hard to catch, so let me translate it into Texan for you:

"All you young whipper snappers out there, who are lurking and not posting, listen up. When someone like GeeDub tell you a bullet leave a big hole going in, and a big hole going out, blood everywhere and a short trail, to dinner is a good thing, Because I hate tracking, I want my dinner dead where I shot it. It's even more important in the thick Carolina, and Texas brush. If it ain't dead where you shot it with lots of blood, you are going hungary. When someone is talking about blood trails and holes, it means they actually got away from the computer long enough to go KILL something. old

Of course my Texan is not very good, so my translation might be a little rough.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I shoot Sierra 77's out to 600. When I think Long Range that's 1000. I was going to do Berger 80 VLD's for 1000 but found out it was still iffy from a service length barrel. So the Berger 80 money is going into a scope base for tha Savage build, 30 cal 175 SMK's.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
I find that the accubonds shoot as good as the ballistic tips and always pass through. Hole going in, hole going out. Almost always a blood trail. Almost never need a blood trail....
For any Beginners reading this, those are the kind of statements you need to pay attention to. tu2 BOOM

Thanks,AS,
I went back and re-read your post, perhaps you are right.
I tell folks, I'm not a big man, but big enough to admit when I'm wrong.
My apologies to Hot Core.
Sometimes I tend to type before I think.
Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sometimes I tend to type before I think.

We all know I've never done that Roll Eyes

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Poor amiable, misunderstood HC!

rotflmo

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some times "compliments" from where you do not expect them can throw anyone a curve. Big Grin

It was a great Post that GWB made and I reallllly appreciate the "translation" that Antelope Sniper provided, he restated what I saw in the excellent post very well.
-----

"No sincere compliment goes unpunished! - Hot Core 2011 jumping
-----

GWB is posting some excellent information. One of these days we will challenge him to go for 301yds. Big Grin Do you think the Accubonds will do as well way out yonder? tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
...money is going into a scope base for tha Savage build, 30 cal 175 SMK's.
You will love it. Great choice.
-----

Now if I can just survive this "compliment". wave

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well…

Berger.

I just shot the NBRSA 1000 Yard Nationals, and they did well.

In both Light Gun and Heavy Gun.

I've been shooting a 6x47 Lapua in Light Gun for a while now, and can't see how any other bullet would shoot better than the 115 VLD.

I just built a 284 Win specifically for 1000 yards, and it shot well also. I had little time to test loads, but just prior to the Nationals, at the Berger Match in Arizona, Berger ballistician Bryan Litz won shooting the Berger 7mm 180 Hybrid, as did F-Class Open shooter Danny Biggs.

I'm sold on the Hybrid, especially after so much agony--on occasion--in trying to tune VLDs.

If you're interested, the 284 Win took 3rd Place, Group, for all six targets.

And the Light Gun shot well enough for me to take 3rd Place, Overall, for the Match.

flaco

Yep, the same old flaco who spent too much time squabbling with the rest of the boys on the Gunsmithing Forum not that many years back.

LOL.

Posts: 674 | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!
I've understood that the hybrid is easier to tune and keep in tune. I'll be interested to see the 6.5mm entry when the come out with it!

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Flaco, I've missed out on the Berger Hybrid. How is it different from the VLD?
-----

And congratulations on the fine shooting! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most bullets, Hot Core, have a tangent ogive.

The VLDs have a secant ogive, which is more streamlined, but prone to issues as the bullet enters the rifling.

The Hybrid is a combination of the two, with a secant ogive near the nose, and a tangent ogive where the bullet contacts the rifling.

Bryan Litz designed these for Berger.

If you do a search, you'll find his excellent book on Long Range Ballistics.

flaco

Posts: 674 | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand. Thanks! tu2