New
Find
Notify
Tools

caliber choice?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello:
I have a hunting rifle setup for long range shooting with a standard boltface. The Remington long action could be chambered for a variety of cartridges and I am trying to come up with the best caliber for long range work. I know the .284 has an excellent reputation for accuracy, but I would be hoping to achieve a higher velocity than that case can achieve. With the standard boltface would the .280 Ackley Improved be a better choice? A .30 wildcat with a rebated rim was tried and the
brass would not standup to the performance I wanted.

Posts: 7 | Location: seattle, wa | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Are you stuck on 7mm caliber or can you do another caliber and cartridge choice? What do you want to do with the gun?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what your velocity goals are but I shoot the .280IMP 40 and have for about 13 years. Before that I shot a .300Wby Mag. At work I shoot a .300Win Mag. There is nothing I can do (within reason) with a .300 I can't do with a 7mm and do it with less recoil.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gene so:
Hello:
I have a hunting rifle setup for long range shooting with a standard boltface. The Remington long action could be chambered for a variety of cartridges and I am trying to come up with the best caliber for long range work. I know the .284 has an excellent reputation for accuracy, but I would be hoping to achieve a higher velocity than that case can achieve. With the standard boltface would the .280 Ackley Improved be a better choice? A .30 wildcat with a rebated rim was tried and the
brass would not standup to the performance I wanted.

It always helps if you give more information as to what your expecting velocity/bullets etc. As to the 30cal on rebated rim again lack of information.

Pacific has bolts for the Rem so your not limited to standard bolt also Wyatt makes extended magazine boxes for the Rem so your not limited their.

I don't get into comparing so when I had the 284 on a long action that's what I had build same with the 280AI I had build. Well good luck

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I would ask what is long range for you.

That well help.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post