Find
Notify
Tools

Pissin' and Moanin' Forum?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted
This is the LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM, not the PISSIN' AND MOANIN' FORUM. One constant here is once a forum leves the first page it isn't worth reading. Let's get back on topic.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Sam,

Do you shoot High Power? XTC? Prone? Please tell me no F-Class. Eeker

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I currently shoot Service Rifle, Across The Course and Reduced depending on where I'm shooting. Getting ready to try my first 1000 yard match on the 27th. More or less because it's after our NMC, 1000 yard and 5.56 not a great combo but there are a lot of people who shoot it. I'm currently building a Savage that started life as a .30-06 package gun, but thinking of buying a new action and leaving that one in one piece.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
The High Power Championship finished at Camp Perry yesterday. These are the top 5.

1 Carl Bernosky 2393-160X
2 Rodrigo Rosa 2390-132X
3 Brandon Green 2385-126X
4 Sherri Gallagher 2383-146X
5 Norman Houle 2381-114X

http://www.nrablog.com/?tag=/high+power+rifle

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I shoot AR-15 Match rifle XTC but in recent years have not shot many matches.

I also have an AR-15 Service Rifle and Fulton Armory M1A.

Before my eyes go I am thinking about chasing my Distinguished Rifleman's Badge. That will take time and commitment.

I have shot quite a few 600 yard prone matches. There are no 1000 yard ranges within 4 hours of where I live. That rifle is a 40X in a McMilan prone stock built by Ken Porter.

My new build is a 6BR in a Gary Eliesio kit. Hopefully I have it in the next two months.

Our last regular monthly 600 yard only mach saw 39 shooters. 30 F-Class and 9 Sling shooters.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
I currently shoot Service Rifle, Across The Course and Reduced depending on where I'm shooting. Getting ready to try my first 1000 yard match on the 27th. More or less because it's after our NMC, 1000 yard and 5.56 not a great combo but there are a lot of people who shoot it. I'm currently building a Savage that started life as a .30-06 package gun, but thinking of buying a new action and leaving that one in one piece.

Sam,

The last time I shot at Camp Perry the Army had a couple of rifleman shoot ARs at 1000 yards. One made shoot off. That was 10 years ago this week.

good luck in your 1000 yard match.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I retired from the Navy with 12 points in 05. I still have 12 points, work gets in the way of shooting. I still have a Leg Match at Butner, NC this year. This year for All-Navy there were no 5.56s allowed. The logic being the military has moved on from trying to push it that far. I figure I'll try it once or twice until I get the Savage done. I ,might make it to Perry in 2013.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just an observation here, may not seem relevant to some folks.

No one cares about anyone wounding or losing a piece of paper, it doers not matter.

When the target is a living, breathing creature and the goal is to produce a quick/clean/humane kill, people view that differently.

For those of you that enjoy it, put targers on the moon and fire away, don't bother me or many other folks. when it comes to living/bteathing animals that deserve our respect and as quick a death as possible, then we have a responsibility as ethical hunters to see that is accomplished.

I don't believe that I have seen a single person bitching about how far away anyone is trying to put a hole thru a ptece of paper. Just exactly how much does it cost to get a taxidermist to properly mount a 1000 yard target????

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Crazyhorse, This is the "Long Range Board". BOOM

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Crazyhorse,
As much as I respect the ethics of hunting, taking a shot on an animal that is over a second of flight time away is not an ethical choice. Considering most of the "long range hunters" here don't understand balistics or the effects of wind on a bullet on how it relates to a bucks heart or a bucks ass I think they should spend a little time on paper to learn how to do it.
Sam

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Sam my response is directed at Hot Core, I agree with your response.

Really Hot Core, gosh I did not know that forgive me of YOUR ignorance!

The point remains, the only pissing and moaning I have noticed when looking in this topic area, is when the subject involves shooting at game animals, not varmints or inanimate objects.

No one gives a damn about either of those.

State that it is a deer/speed goat/elk et al, and that is when the bitching starts.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Good points all--my .02 is that I was shooting long range 25 years before I started to formally compete. Granted I had some of the best mentors that exist and one of the best Smiths who is a HOF shooter himself but DID have to unlearn a few or actually a lot of what I thought was right.

Conclusion EVERYTHING that I have learned in competition (firearms, components, tools, techniques etc) has in some way big or small contributed to make me more successful in the field period end of story. The people that will argue otherwise are ignorant not stupid you understand just ignorant.

Cheers!

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
Crazyhorse,
As much as I respect the ethics of hunting, I read this as "you're not a hunter"; true or false? taking a shot on an animal that is over a second of flight time away is not an ethical choice Your opinion . Considering most of the "long range hunters" here don't understand balistics or the effects of wind on a bullet on how it relates to a bucks heart or a bucks ass I think they should spend a little time on paper to learn how to do it. I'll agree, everyone has to start somewhere and paper, varmints or steel is the best.
Sam

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I think I'm glad that I'm a know-nuthin' short range meat hunter, with few opinions and even less to piss and moan about!! jumping

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
GSSP,
I've done a little corn field hunting with shotgun in Ohio before I enlisted, I have not been hunting in years. There's no rifle hunting in Ohio, in Virginia only west of I-95. My thought is if you can guarantee that the animal isn't going to move for a second after you fire then go for it. In my opinion 400 to 500 yards is a more practical limit. I'm not saying that you can't take a longer shot but I think there are too many shooters that think they can hunt out to 600 or 800 yards just because they've read about it in a magazine and don't have the skill needed. I'd be willing to bet you've met one or two yourself, I know I have met guys that say they can shoot a deer at 300 yards but can't hit a target at 200 and blame everything except themselves.
Sam