New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using Lasers to Measure Wind
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just my two cents, but I wouldn't be buying a Leica Vector or other high speed laser rangefinder...wait until a hand held unit comes out to measure wind speed.

A laser can be used to measure wind by detecting the phase shift created by the laser reflecting off airborne particles of dust, moisure, snow, etc. Right now they cost 200K and weigh about 18 lbs, but I wonder if someone wouldn't be able to build one a hand held one for about 4k or so.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the warning!

I had an extra $200,000 burnin' a hole in my pocket and was just getting ready to call Cabela's !!!

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the military is working on it as we speak. I think it was Martin that got a contract to include range, wind, etc into an optic that can be mounted on the rifle. It will compute everything, just point and shoot!
C.G.B.

Posts: 1094 | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats cool and all, but doesnt it take away some of the challenge, and fun, of long range shooting? Well, I guess I can see it both ways. Laser scopes for hunting to get the most reliable shot, but I think for target work it would be more fun to get to know your rifle and scope and any adjustments their of.

Posts: 141 | Location: FL to WV | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
working on it

Working on it is the key phrase. Succeeding is a whole different matter. Last I heard the project was having some difficulties.

Besides at 200k It would still be another 30 years before it was down in the normal guy price range.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
The technology originated with wind turbines; seeing what the wind was like out in front would help with optimization.

Current users include the sailboat owned by Larry Ellison used in the America's Cup Race.

I don't think the Lockheed Martin one shot system uses phase shifting to measure wind speed; it only measures at the muzzle.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/.../oneshot_121410.html

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it does down range wind but is a 2 piece setup, a spotting scope and a scope on the rifle. I guess that is ok if you always have a spotter along.
C.G.B.

Posts: 1094 | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AZ thanks for the update. I'd heard they couldn't get it to fit on the rifle, and didn't work too will in blowing sand. But blowing sand is hard on most equipment.
I can see it being very educational for LRH as well.
"Ok, give me your best dope call", "Alright now lets see what the computer says", type of traing.
Yep, Don't give up your mildot, and mirage reading. If your spotter goes down you will still need it.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Matt and CGB. For Military shooting we were not concerned with fun and challenge. there is a spotter and sniper so 2 piece works. As far as target shooting goes, which is all I do now, I agree it would take the challenge out of it

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A $200k laser still isn't going to help w/ time'n the shot inbetween gusts.

Posts: 132 | Location: WI. | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless the bullet could make a course correction in flight, there is not much you can do to overcome the impact of wind downrange. I was taught to read the wind by gauging the speed and direction of the wind for the first 1/3rd of the range to target.(some say first half??) Theory being that the bullet is first exposed to the effects of wind upon leaving the barrel and adjust for that which you can estimate will be required to strike the target downrange.
Over a thousand yard range the wind can vary in direction and velocity considerably, but if it is obvious that there is a strong wind evidenced by blowing tree limbs, weeds, brush, etc. shadows from cloud cover moving across the landscape, "dust devils," flat line mirage, and so on would suggest to hold up. Suggestion only, but there is a very useful book by Jim Owens entitled "Reading the Wind" and worth reading by new or experienced long range shooters.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I believe the military is working on it as we speak. I think it was Martin that got a contract to include range, wind, etc into an optic that can be mounted on the rifle. It will compute everything, just point and shoot!

The military may be working to incorporate such technology,rather than develop it, the tech may not be new in itself.
I know a fellow that was active in a high level "civil" special ops team, that was using devices with such technology and capability, well over a decade ago. His gear was the envy of many LE or military SpecOps groups that he mingled with. His modern coms gear was also well in advance of what those lesser [gov. regulated and accountable] groups were stuck with.
A gov. may have a seemingly large military budget compared to what wealthy large corporations and private individuals may have in wealth.
But they may not have the unscrutinised freedom to spend as they like, like the private sector.
A multi billion dollar civil corporation or private individual, is much more free to spend as they like without accountability, justification,transparency or scrutiny, or political interferences, that a gov. may have to adhere to or face.
Hence if a private corp or individual contracts a civil team to take care of particular problematic target, to alter or effect a multi billion dollar industry, they have no quarms in finacially contributing to make sure the team has the best gear to give them the best chance of acomplishing the task.
Whats an extra million attached to the bill mean to you, if you stand to make many billions from the outcome.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was talking to a guy from our airforce rotflmo, at a recent comp and he mention something about this, he seem to think that this was closer than we all think.

Waitn see what happens I spose.

RUNAS

War is inevitable, if idiots are in charge of countries

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MFD:
Unless the bullet could make a course correction in flight, there is not much you can do to overcome the impact of wind downrange.

That's in the works, people are looking into it.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14370 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's in the works, people are looking into it.

It would have to be fired from a smooth bore. Currently we have shoulder fired weapons in the 25mm range with electronic fuses, artillery shells, and 250 pound bombs that can perform in flight course corrections. So we are getting there.