Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Howa Axiom
 Login/Join

posted
Hello ladies and gents. I'm a returning member and looking at upgrading my varmint/ target rifle. I've read some great things about Howa and decided to go with that brand. I was leaning toward the Axiom, but have read some really bad reviews about the Blackhawks Axiom stock (flexing to the side under a bipod and the recoil reduction system not allowing the rifle to come straight back int your shoulder. Are these still issues? If so are there any work arounds? I shoot a 22-250 so what about taking the recoil system out? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posts: 14 | Registered: 08 June 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
22-250. For long range? Does the barrel have a 1 in 8" twist or faster? . I'm not familiar with the Axiom, What were your reasons for choosing the Howa?

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Boy that is a "different" looking rifle.

I have never seen "in person" much less used an Axiom. So concerns about the stock I have no clue.

Howa normally makes an accurate rifle. Don't know your range but I "believe" the 22-250 is only a 1 in 12 twist so you are normally talking a 62gr max.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My advice is to find one with the walnut stock, have it pillar bedded and free float the barrel. Or put it in a good composite stock. The Medalist for the Vanguard from Bell and Carlson is a solid stock.

The Axiom stock is cool looking, and that about ends the appeal. More gimmick than function. It is an injection molded plastic stock not a rigid composite like a McMillan, or HS Precision.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I'm going to go with the varminter with the vented walnut stock that caught my eye originally. The probelms with the Axiom seem to be recuring theme. I'm sticking with the 22-250 because that's the caliber I already have the loads developed for. My deifintion of long range is likely pretty pathhetic compared to you guys' Smiler6-800 yards someday soon. I'm going Howa because I've read some rave reviews about it and the price is reasonable. May do the upgrades suggested if I get addicted and improve to where I'm not holding the rifle back.

Posts: 14 | Registered: 08 June 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I think you will find nothing wrong with your caliber selection.

The problem you might have is the twist rate of the 22-250 in a factory varmint rifle. Most 22-250 rifles are set up for light weight bullets.

You want a faster twist and heavier bullets to shoot even 600-800 yards.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post