THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Long Distance - At what distance does it end for you?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Distance - At what distance does it end for you?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We tend to talk about L-o-n-g Distance as if all of us are thinking of the exact same distance. However, I'd wager that it is typically different for each of us and depends on the Target we are shooting(at Big Grin).

(Don't tell anyone, but my Long Distance gets shorter as I age. old)

Consider your Focus and Concentration is at it's Peak, your rifle/cartridge is at it's best and no one is around to distract you with LOUD Reports.

Question:
What do you consider is too Long of a Distance for your present abilities and equipment when shooting Paper?

Choices:
1. 500yds.
2. 750yds.
3. 1000yds.
4. Somewhere beyond 1000yds.
5. Other?

Question:
What do you consider is too Long of a Distance for your present abilities and equipment when shooting Game(if there is no indication of ANY Wind)?

Choices:
6. 500yds.
7. 750yds.
8. 1000yds.
9. Somewhere beyond 1000yds.
10. Other?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Different game entirely shooting at game, I would have voted 400 yards If I could have.

Game can decide to take step in any direction for no reason and that is something I've never seen a paper target do.

When time of bullet flight exceeds half a second or so, it's something to consider IMO.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Past 1000 at paper, no issues with missing or not hitting the bull.

750 on game with no wind, you gotta make SURE there isn't wind though, and know your conditions well for the trajectory.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When shooting at paper, you typically have a KNOWN distance. That's totally different then in the wild. There, it's all about the level of confidence I have in my read on the conditions. Get much past 700 yards, and even the best LRF's become less then reliable. As Ghubert mentioned, what's the game doing? Are they calm? Are they alert? These are all things you have to look at.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big game, depends on conditions(wind calm) and whether game is relaxed and is offering good broadside shot, so for me at this time 500 yards with 3 rifles I shoot a lot. The more I get to practice at longer ranges then maybe I'll stretch distances farther. My one weakness is judging wind and drift, just got to keep working and practicing on that.

Posts: 577 | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot "small game" - mainly rabbits to 1000yds + because a miss is a miss and a hit will be a kill no matter what. These are very small targets compared to normal game so a greater accuracy is required fo a hit.
I don't "wound"rabbits but I could wound an antelope. there are two main reasons I would actually shorten the distance for the larger targets - the first is that they require more energy delivered for a clean kill plus secondly the chance of the target moving whilst the projectile is in flight. The intended target could move enough to change the hit from a kill to a wounding shot.

Posts: 223 | Location: Qld, Australia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Yes, my thoughts are very close to APB's. I only shoot long range at prarie dogs. Out past 1K for those. If I miss, I just shoot again. If I hit, it's a dead bean bear. It's the equivalent of shooting a cannon ball through a deer, ratio of bullet size to critter size.

I would say "maybe" 400 yards on big game, probably closer to 300 now. I'm not as "brave" with long shots on big game as I was when I was younger. And all things would have to be ideal, wind, conditions, I didn't just run up a hill and out of breath, proper caliber for the job, good position/hold/rest, etc.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Current stats-

Longest big game Eland--roughly 440

Longest mid size-- Goat--roughly 580

(both pre-laser days)

(and as I'm aging these may be the last long distance game)

Varmints--any distance I can see them

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackrabbit
posted Hide Post
600 max 308 on white tail low wind full or quarter value taken some at 300 to 500 at 500 they get hard to see in a tree line with 10 power optics they blend in reel good

Posts: 18 | Registered: 08 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackrabbit:
600 max 308 on white tail low wind full or quarter value taken some at 300 to 500 at 500 they get hard to see in a tree line with 10 power optics they blend in reel good

Mate i'm not jumping on you here but the conditions you describe are precisely those in which I would not shoot at unwounded animal at long range.

Proximity to cover is a big no-no for me, if one does would it by the time you get there the trail can be hard to find and the time of flight of the bullet makes a quick second shot very hard.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackrabbit
posted Hide Post
i understand.but i have taken deer out to 500 yards in these conditions.i have a range i practice on out to 500 yards.this is were i record my data for my load and rifle under thes conditions.all ran less than 30 yards.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Fair enough mate. Smiler

Picture of jackrabbit
posted Hide Post
when i said 600 max.i ment the 308 should have enough energy to have a clean kill out to 600.conditions would have to be great for me to even think of taking that shot.most of the time they are in side the tree line. i have never talked to some one frome the UK this is cool.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackrabbit:
when i said 600 max.i ment the 308 should have enough energy to have a clean kill out to 600.conditions would have to be great for me to even think of taking that shot.most of the time they are in side the tree line. i have never talked to some one frome the UK this is cool.

Big Grin

It's great this internet thing isn't it?

I wasn't so much referring to distance above as to the proximity to cover when you said "By the treeline". If it was in the open and condition were good I would have much less of an issue with it.

Picture of jackrabbit
posted Hide Post
yes it is. i like this new chat room they have. ya i agree but most of the time wen they come out in the open it is dawn and you have low light issues.i know it does not say at the bottom but i am from oklahoma