THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    180gr. Hornady A-Max Performance on sheep
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

180gr. Hornady A-Max Performance on sheep
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have experience with 180 gr. Hornady V-Max on game? I'm off to Tajikistan in Nov. and I'm in my prehunt tinkering mode.

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 30 caliber?

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes,.308 I guess they're 178 gr

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get an A-max in that calibre and weight, but not a V-Max that I know of.

I've never hunted sheep or Ibex; but if you want a bullet that sets up fast then the A-Max will do that.

You will not get an exit obviously.

What about an Accubond LR?

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still tinkering with the Accubond LR's. Can't get the accuracy I'm looking for (1- 1 1/2 MOA at best)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok I see the problem...........

Then definitely try the A-Max's. I've also had good results with Nosler Custom Comps on long range roos, but nothing as big and tough as sheep or Ibex.

Or if you can find them what about Matrix bullets?

And for something out of left field I have had very good accuracy out of a 300 RUM with 180 Sciroccos.......I'm talking 1/2 moa for 3 shots.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
180 Sciroccos give me 1/2 MOA @ 3000 fps mv. When pushed to 3100-3200 fps they go to 2-4 MOA!
3000 fps is OK, but I'm wanting more velocity. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sciroccos are out then..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana dogo:
180 Sciroccos give me 1/2 MOA @ 3000 fps mv. When pushed to 3100-3200 fps they go to 2-4 MOA!
3000 fps is OK, but I'm wanting more velocity. Thanks.

If I was going halfway around the world, I wouldn't use an AMAX. As for the Scirocco, if it really shoots 1/2 MOA at 3000 fps, you are foolish to discard it for a few more hundred feet of velocity, especially if it isn't at least as accurate.

Assuming you can shoot 1/2 MOA at 500 yards, that load give you a maximum allowable wind error of 1.7 mph before you risk missing. At 800 yards your max allowable wind error is .7 mph.

A bullet 300 fps faster but which shoots only .75 MOA will have a maximum allowable wind error of 1.0 mph at 500 and .5 at 800 yards. But do you even if have a place you can practice at 500 to 800 yards? You won't become competent unless you do, and that extra velocity is going to accelerate that barrel wear to say nothing of recoil.

These figures assume a ten inch vital area.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Kenton Ballistic Turrets on a lot of my rifles; now I know a lot of purists will sneer, but they take all the hard work out of trajectory calculations on long range work, especially when you have to do it fairly quickly under a high stress environment. So if your load is only doing 3000fps, not a problem, it should still have enough velocity to set up at 750 yards.

A friend of mine, head shot 3 roos out of 3 with my 6mmBR at 580 yards using a Kenton.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is "set up"? Is that anything like "bullet upset"?
I've used the old Hornady 30 cal 180 gr spire on a desert ram. The off-side looked like I used a 20 gauge. Not good results, to me.
I used a 180 TTSX Barnes out of a 300 WIn Mag in Tajikistan. One and done! Worked like a charm!
Zeke

Posts: 2270 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How far was the shot in Tajikistan?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blair,
The shot was unusually close from what others have experienced in Tajikistan. None of this banging away hoping to land a bullet somewhere, for me.
I crept (climbed, huffed, puffed and though my head would explode) to under 200 yards. One shot was all that was needed.

On the entire trip, I only fired 2 rounds; 1 at a box at 100 meters to check zero and one at my ram. I almost feel cheated! LOL

Zeke

Posts: 2270 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
Blair,
The shot was unusually close from what others have experienced in Tajikistan. None of this banging away hoping to land a bullet somewhere, for me.
I crept (climbed, huffed, puffed and though my head would explode) to under 200 yards. One shot was all that was needed.

On the entire trip, I only fired 2 rounds; 1 at a box at 100 meters to check zero and one at my ram. I almost feel cheated! LOL

Zeke

Zeke:

There is a reason very few people take long range shots on guided hunts in Alaska and Africa: you draw blood, you punch your tag.

My hat's off to you.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post