THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Scope choices for a 270 Weatherby

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope choices for a 270 Weatherby
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
Hi, I bought a well used 270 Weatherby Mark V and it shoots really well. Unfortunately my vintage 3x9 Redfield Tracker has just bit the dust. I'm torn between buying another Redfield (cheap) or getting a higher end scope for it (Leupold VX-6 3-18, etc.). I want to hunt with it, but am not too concerned about weight, since the rifle is no lightweight to start with. Recommendations?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I'd look at a Nightforce, Bushnell, SS, any of the mid-end scopes that track well.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
Zeiss 4.5-14x44 conquest with rapid Z 800. I have this scope on my custom 270 wby and love it, shot a deer two years ago using the rapid z 800 and it made a long shot realy easy.

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much you want to spend? I really like the conquest. I dont care for the rapid z, its easier for me to hold over, rather than count down then move up.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I think I'm going to go with the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x 50mm Rapid Z 800. I really like the reticle and want the added aperture for the resolution as much as the additional brightness. My used Mark V is so heavy already a few more ounces won't make much of a difference. Anyway, compared to my 500 Jeffery it's a light weight lol ...

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 270 Wby is a great caliber...flat and fast as a 257 Bee, but with the ability to carry more bullet weight. Good luck with it.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks Biebs, I took the 270 Weatherby to the range yesterday with my new Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50mm scope yesterday. Things went real well. Shot a 1 1/2" 3 shot group at 200 yards and just over a 3" group at 300 yards with 270 Weatherby factory 130 Spitzers. The 3" group at 300 was definitely my fault as I was using the Z 800 reticle and am still getting used to it. In all the scope was incredibly clear, adjustments were good. I may send it to Zeiss for the target turrets at some point, but I really like the Rapid Z 800 reticle. I'm guessing at least half the group size was attributed to my poor shooting. I need to get out and shoot more. I want to get the trigger pull down to 2.5 lbs too, it's at 3.5 now.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck, Weatherby triggers have great adjustment...you can get them down to 2-2 1/2 lbs, and as crisp as a new $20 bill.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I'm going to adjust it this weekend. Got the manual of of their website, seems pretty straight forward. Thanks again!

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
I thought you would like the Zeiss, the rapid z 800 does take a little range time to get use to, but you will like it.

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post