New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 Weatherby for 1000 yards
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone used or have tried the 270 Weatherby for long range target shooting,600 to 1000 yards.

Posts: 318 | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't but I'm sure it would work.

You'll be hamstrung by the bullet selection available though.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If memory serves me Dan Lilja is very high on the 270 weatherby for long range shooting. i think his website may have some info for you to look at.

Posts: 97 | Location: maple valley, wash. | Registered: 19 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 135gr SMK should do ok.

There are also Berger VLD's in .277 now.

Know nothing about Matrix bullets, but they have really high BC .277 (saw this only recently).

That said, 6.5mm seems to be the best in the BC game.

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
As others have said, its ballistics are fine, in terms of how well it can push a heavier bullet. Those heavier bullets just don't have impressive BCs.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
The Matrix .277 caliber 165 VLD's BC ((static): 0.7381) seems Ok...

http://www.matrixballistics.co...r-rifle-bullets.html

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
As others have said, its ballistics are fine, in terms of how well it can push a heavier bullet. Those heavier bullets just don't have impressive BCs.

BCs on a bullets for the .45-70 aren't impressive either, but they will make the trip.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post