Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can anyone do some calculating?
 Login/Join

posted
Shot my rifle yesterday. 6mm 75 Hornaday V-max. Scope is 2 inches from bore C/L. I shot 3 ranges. At 109 yards I was 3 inches high, at 218 yards I was one inch high and 345 yards (this was a 1.5 inch group, brag, brag :=) I was 14 inches low. Is this enough info to generate a curve? I could do this if I had a velocity, but I have no chronograph. Thanks for all your help.

Posts: 11 | Registered: 20 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Google eskimo ballistics. There is an engine on the site that is very good and should give you all your info.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by commando57:
Shot my rifle yesterday. 6mm 75 Hornaday V-max. Scope is 2 inches from bore C/L. I shot 3 ranges. At 109 yards I was 3 inches high, at 218 yards I was one inch high and 345 yards (this was a 1.5 inch group, brag, brag :=) I was 14 inches low. Is this enough info to generate a curve? I could do this if I had a velocity, but I have no chronograph. Thanks for all your help.

What sort of info do you need?

drops at intermediate distances, long distance drops, windage charts, what?

JBM online is good and fairly in depth.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Intermediate distance drops and drops out to 600 or so and it would be really nice to get muzzle velocity. I could then calculate windage myself.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
The only way I can get those numbers to work mate is using a MV of around 2750, a zero of 230 yards at 500 feet altitude, 10 ^C and 1000 mbars pressure.

What cartridge are you using and are you homeloading as that velocity seems low for the 243/6mm Rem?

As it is the figures are:

100: +2.6"
150: +3"
200: +1.6"
250: +0.6"
300: -6.6"
350: -14"
400: -24"
450: -37"
500: -53.1"
550: -73.2"
600: -98.8"

Let me know if you want the windage figures.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am using a wildcat similar to the 6mmAR called the 6mm Banshee out of a Shilen barreled AR15. I was really hoping it was faster than that. The Vmaxes shoot well in it. I use BLC(2) powder, about 28 grains. Thanks for the info, when I get out of the groundhog field I will print it out and tape it to me stock. I lost a partial post due to fat fingering this Blackberry, it may show up somewhere. Again thanks very much.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
You're very welcome but it's just a very rough calc, without correcting for conditions it could very well be way off.

Best luck with it, perhaps a crosspost to the reloading forum asking someone to run a quickload check on your load might help give you some more idea on the velocity?