THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    1.125" vs 1.375" rings...What problems are inherrent to taller rings?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1.125" vs 1.375" rings...What problems are inherrent to taller rings?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I spoke with a fellow from BearBasin about the difference in the 1.125 and the 1.375 Unimounts. He stated to go with the 1.125 because the taller mount would cause "all kinds of problems". No explanation of what these problems might be. Anyone care to elaborate? I will be mounting a NightForce 5.5-22x56 on a Rem 700 300RUM. The mount I want will have 20 MOA and base is a 0.

Thanks,

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Possibly cheek weld issues. That's about all.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than the cheek weld the only other thing that I can think of as a negative is that the taller the rings the worse effect the off-vertical cant angle will be on bullet trajectory. Here's a nice cant example I came across a while back:

https://www.snipershide.com/fo...wflat&Number=2189771

You can use the JBM ballistics calculator to see the difference in scope LOS height and windage drift at some cant angle.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered the 1.125. It came in Saturday and now holds my 5.5-22x56 in place. Plenty of clearance for a larger barrel in the future too!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post