THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    What was considered acceptable hunting rifle accuracy 50's & 60's era?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was considered acceptable hunting rifle accuracy 50's & 60's era?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
During the 50's & 60's hunting rifle accuracy and bullet performance were both primarily measured by DEAD ANIMALS.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
During the 50's & 60's hunting rifle accuracy and bullet performance were both primarily measured by DEAD ANIMALS.

That is about as accurate as it gets. People used to be more concerned with makling lone shot kills and less concerned with placing 3 or 5 bullets into one hole or a very small area.

they did not have the free time that folks have become accustomed too. They had saturday and sunday off from work and they wanted to get out there and kill their deer/elk/bear/moose whatever and get back home.

Most or all of their shooting was 200 yards or less, usually 100 yards or less and they saw no profit in shooting something and then having to chase a wounded animal all over the country.

Minute of critter was the acceptable level in those days.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I remember my dad telling me that it was a good shooter if it was under 2-2.5" 3shot group at 100 yards.

That was usually followed up with "Any of those shots would kill game".

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are talking about a time period when rifle scopes were only used by a small percentage of shooters. Not many bothered to shoot groups with iron sights.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
You are talking about a time period when rifle scopes were only used by a small percentage of shooters. Not many bothered to shoot groups with iron sights.

Very true.

Who would contemplate load development with express sights or even a 21/2 power scope these days?

I've played with some very old rifles that with a modern scope with a nice fine crosshair and good home-loads have shot well under an inch for three. Barrel mounted swivels and all! Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1951 Model 70 Winchester in 300 H&H and a 1957 Mod. 70 in 30-06 that are two of the most accurate rifles I own. Both are 1/2 inch rifles regularly. Oh, and I have quite a few rifles, custom, semi-custom and factory. I will admit they surprised me when I shot them. And I did not have to search for accurate loads either.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post