New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice fo good camcorder please?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you think is a good semi-pro camcorder, under $1500 for videoing a hunt?

Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3339 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I don't think you will get any semi-pro for that price.

Also, you have to decide if you want 1080P Full HD or go for 4K.

The Canon XF305 is great for HD.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67093 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Saeed. I think that I agree.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3339 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did video production 10-15 years ago. Man has that world changed. I'm getting back into it. The canon vixia line is awesome and compact. These cameras can be had for about $300 and if you don't need a pro camera with xlr audio inputs they are the bomb. JVC makes a similar priced camera that is waterproof.

The nice thing about the new cameras is they are solid state on memory cards and there is no tape drive to cause problems. Don't be of the mindset that you need to spend $1k-$5k to get awesome footage. 4k ultra hd even.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
deadibob, Thank you! Perfect. I just now noticed that category of cameras. That is very good advice. I will take it.

Saeed, you plutocrat, I looked up the Canon XF305. Awesome, but way too much money for me. However, thanks for the suggestion. I will still get a Mavic drone as you once suggested to me.

Cheers and Thanks to all, Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best thing you can do to get good video is to learn how to use the camera properly. Two tools that are a must have is a monopod and a fluid head tripod. I always have my camera on one of these two things. Learn to use a monopod and you will get good, steady footage. A fluid head tripod will give you good, smooth pans. Learn how to properly zoom in and out, otherwise you will get whiplash watching your footage. If there is something you must absolutely get a quick close up of (wildlife, etc.) zoom in fast and you can cut that out later when you edit.

You can get a decent, light, fluid-head tripod for $100 or less. Check out BHphotovideo that is a great place for one stop shopping. There are walking sticks out there that are threaded for cameras and make a great dual-purpose monopod/walking stick. Get a couple extra camera batteries. If you buy Canon brand batteries you're going to pay $100 each roughly. You can get aftermarket brand batteries which are just as good or better for a third the cost.

If you have any questions just give me a pm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
deadibob, Thanks for the great help/advice. I will take your advice.

Do you know if it is hard to edit my footage on my Mac computer?
ie. Use my Mac computer to turn my raw film into decent 10 minute video. Is there a program for this?

Thanks, again. Brian

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
deadibob, Thanks for the great help/advice. I will take your advice.

Do you know if it is hard to edit my footage on my Mac computer?
ie. Use my Mac computer to turn my raw film into decent 10 minute video. Is there a program for this?

Thanks, again. Brian

Yes you can.

You have a choice between Apple’s iMovie or Adobe Premier.

I think Premier is better, but more expensive.

I use Premier Pro but I am on a PC.

Posts: 67093 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, Thank you again!
You are often "Jonny on the Spot" with useful info.
I am off and running. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A mac is what I learned to edit on, using final cut pro. If you aren't doing professional editing you don't need pro software like Premier or Final cut. iMovie will be plenty for hobby editing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
deadibob. Excellent, Thanks again. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone. I bought a camcorder! I got a Canon Vixia HF R800. ( deadibob, sound familiar?) It has all the stuff I need. I had enough dough left over to get an Azden SGM-990+i external shotgun mike plus an Azden wireless remote kit, filters, LCD screen shade, a Vanguard monopod and a Shape Paparazzi frame to hold it all together. My wife will be the camera person on the buffalo hunts.
What could go wrong!

Thanks again to every one!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome! A shotgun mike can be tricky to use when you are running and gunning the camera. It needs to be completely isolated with rubber mounts or you will get a lot of unwanted sounds. If you plan to run the shotgun and wireless mikes at the same time you will probably need an adapter so you can run 2 audio channels. This will be what you want in post(editing) so you can separate audio and use the best clips.

I am getting back into filming myself after a 10 year hiatus. It's fun. Make sure your wife learns the basics. For following a hunter, nothing is better than having the camera on a monopod. It can be used as a gimbal for balancing the camera when filming on the move and it will give steady footage when zoomed in. Without that or a tripod, the camera will flinch every time a shot goes off. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deadibob, Thanks for the help and encouragement. I think that I have done all you suggest except the 2 audio channels. Sounds like a very good idea. I will get that handled too.
Thanks again for your help I will keep you posted. The hunt is not until Sept. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
deadibob, My wife Sandy says, thank you for your help/advice.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Find out if your camcorder has manual focus, and get your wife to practice with it.

Manual focus is one of our priority for videoing a hunt.

In fact, we just switch auto focus off completely.

Auto focus is fantastic in every day videoing, but totally useless on safari.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, Yes it does. Thanks for the tip. I will take your advice.