Find
Notify
Tools

Lens help
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted
Alright, in preparation for next summer's Namibian adventure, my wife got me a Canon EOS Rebel Ti for a recent birthday. I've been playing with it using the kit lens (a 28-70), but would like a little more glass before heading overseas. What lens (in the 100-300mm range) would you pro photographers recommend for a budding amateur photographer? Of course I want decent quality, but I also need to say within a reasonable budget, say under $150. Any advice?

Input on exterior flash units would also be appreciated.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think I went with a 70mm to 200mm Cannon on my EOS... I would also recommend getting a x2 converter. You lose a little in image quality, and a stop or so of light, but for shooting in the sunny conditions where you are going, i don't think that would be an issue...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remember that you can hand hold up to 200mm, but higher than that you really need a tripod. Yes a very versatile lens would be 70-200. Of course for long shot you'll never have enough !! Make sure you learn the camera well before you go.

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
The Sigma 100-300 works well, and it is in your stated price range.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
<Fisher>
posted
I agree with the post above. The Sigma 100-300 is a good buy. I have two of them. One for my wifes Elan II and my Elan 7. We used them in Alaska about a year ago and was very pleased with the quality of the pictures and the versatility of the lense.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a load of lenses in the mid-1980s and always wanted a 2X teleconverter but just never got around to buying one. If you do get the T/C, make sure it has seven elements versus the cheaper four-element type. Yes, you lose f-stop with them: an f5.6 will meter as an f11.2 so shoot when the light is sufficient.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Well, I think I've narrowed it down to the Sigma 70-300 APO Macro Zoom shown here. It's a litle more than my budget, but what the heck. Unfortunately, it's not compatible with the teleconverter, but that'll save me the $150 that thing costs. Of course I recognize the need for a tripod now, but had that in mind anyway.

Comments?

Could still use a little input on flash units, also on a budget.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
DesertRam,

I have used the Tamron 28-300 lens, and like it a lot.

If you have this one, you don't need your other lens.

I have used this lens on a number of cameras - including a Nikon F5, Nikon D1X, Canon EOS1 and Canon EOS D1s.

I have not had much luck with 2x converters, so I stay away from them.

Be sure to buy a sky light filter too.

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tried my first ever wildlife shot today using a 70-300 + 2X. I steadied the camera by laying behind it and using my pack as a "shooting" rest. Unfortunately it was spur of the moment so the film was asa400, and the time was approaching sunset.

Any guesses how it'll turn out? I really do not know.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
DesertRam,

How do you envisage using a tripod on this trip?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It really depends on why are bringing the camera. If it is just to take snaps of game after a hunt, you have all the lens you need.

If you are looking to do some recreational photography to remember the trip, I would a get a 2x and 3x tele adapter. I would also pick up a used zoom out 300mm and a used 500mm mirrored lens.

Pro wildlife photographers use a single focal length lens of 300mm+ that is as fast as they can find. Even a used Canon FD lens in this category is going to cost more than your budget.

If you are serious about the photography for this trip, then I would pick up a second camera. Probably a used F1 or A1 in decent condition.

Regards,

Pete

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Not so much "snap shots" as decent quality photos to use as part of the trophy. Since we're on a budget for this hunt, we're planning on mounting only one or two animals each, with the rest being skull mounts on plaques. I thought it would add an interesting touch to have the post-kill picture of hunter and quarry (8X10) next to the plaque-mounted skull of said quarry. That would at least show what the animals look like and provide a more complete representation of the hunt/kill than just the skull.

Of course I will also use the camera to take scenic shots of the country and the wildlife. I realize that I'm no pro, so a $1000 lens is probably beyond my ability (not to mention budget). However, I would like to give myself at least the chance of ending up with decent photos of Namibia and some of its critters, be they dead or alive. I can't really justify a second camera, as I already have a point a shoot and a small digital for snap shots.

I envision using the tripod to set up a good shot of dead animals. I've learned that if I want a photo to turn out half way decent, I need to set it up myself. With a tripod, I can set up the shot (more or less), then let my dad push the button when I get into position. I'm sure the tripod will come in handy for the scenic shots too. It's also an investment I want to make for the future, in which my photography skills will (hopefully) improve.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Saeed, what does the sky light filter have to offer? As I'm sure you've noted, I'm just a beginner, so any hints/tricks/tips/etc. are much appreciated.

posted Hide Post
DesertRam,

For trophy pics, a tripod does not have to be tall and this also makes it easier to carry. Any tripod that puts the camera at waist height when fully extended will do a good job, in fact an even shorter tripod would work fine as long as it holds the camera above the grass. My advice would be to scan the magazines and books for trophy pics you like and note the compostion and the camera angles ect. It would not be a bad idea to take a few pics over in your camera bag to refer to in the field..Share them with your PH so he knows what sort of picture you want.

With a tripod you can organise poses much easier, use a "stand in" to hold the trophy while you get everything else sorted then take your place in the scene and get somebody to just push the button. Better still fit a short cable remote to the camera and get them to push that...that avoids any chance of camera shake if they are too "over enhusiastic"...If you go this route you will need to fit that little plastic "blanker" over the eye piece to prevent stray light giving false metering readings. Shoot plenty of film of each trophy and take your time...

Regards

Pete

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Pete, we're on the same page. I generally shoot trophy photos laying in the dirt, but figured the tripod set low would allow me to compose the pic with my dad (hunting companion for Africa) posing with the critter. Then we could swap real quick and he could shoot the photo. I like the idea of the remote, I'll to check into its availability for this camera and read up on how to "set" the focus, etc. while I compose the shot.

I'm planning on at least one roll of film per animal (we're roughly slated for 7-8 each). I'll double that to make sure I have plenty, and I imagine the old man will have a good stock too. I'm sure we'll end up with plenty of film, I just dread the developing bill!

posted Hide Post
DesertRam,

I have a Canon Rebel although it is badged differently in the UK..I am not sure what extras the Ti has, but I suspect it will be pretty similar.

I am no means a gifted photographer ( i wish i was!) but I am improving all the time. When I first saw a PH taking trophy pics, it was a real eye opener and explained why i had not been happy with my previous results. This guy took a lot of time preparing/posing each trophy...He made sure that the blood was removed and that there were no odd bits of grass ect in the frame. He took care on how he posed he shot and paid attention to the small details...is your hat going to cast a shadow over your face for instance...

I would honestly recommend you practice before you go...take some snaps of your dog or even farm stock just to get the idea of what will work and what won't. I would also recommend try the "night flash" facility on the camera as it is good for those trophy shots taken as the sun is going down. Basically it trys to set the exposure for the low back ground light levels so the back ground is not too dark, while using the flash to light the subject correctly.;basically avoids those flash pictures where the subject is brightly lit but the background is totally black..

Regards,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
DesertRam,
If you havn't bought the lens yet, check out the Tokina 80-400 autofocus lens

We have it and it is a wonderful lens!!!

-

This photo was taken with it.
It is not a cheap lens but the added 100 mm really helps out.

As for the Skylight filter, This is a neutral density filter that I use on all my lenses to protect them. If the filter gets scratched I throw it away and put another on on. It's easier than trying to have someone rebuild a lens!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input Greg. That sure looks like a nice lens, but it's a bit out of my price range at this time. For what it costs, I can shoot another gemsbok! I'll keep watching for something used, but I'm leaning more and more towards the Sigma I noted above. At $170 new, it seems like about the best buy for my intended use. At some point in the future I'll spring for a bigger lens, but I think I'll have to be happy with the 300 now.

Thanks for the input on the filters as well. For what they cost, it would be a good idea to keep a spare in the bag just in case.