Find
Notify
Tools

Cropping for landscapes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
In 2009 when I went to Namibia I took a zillion photos in the Namib desert. But pictures of wide sweeping landscapes lose their impact in a square or almost square format. It's not really what I "saw". The solution is simple since almost any software allows you to crop a photo. These were cropped to an approximately 4:1 aspect ratio.

All photos with a Nikon D90 and 18-200mm lens, handheld.

Converted from the RAW file to TIFF with DxO, then cropped, resized and sharpened with Capture NX2.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great stuff...Nice eye

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great shots! I'm sure they're quite an improvement over the originals.

--------------------------------------------------

I judge my success in life by the number of hunting and fishing stories my sons are able to tell.

Posts: 4 | Location: Extreme South Texas | Registered: 03 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent suggestion. The emptiness/openess of Namibia cannot be captured in a square photo. Great pictures by the way.

Posts: 10125 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really like what you've done, those are striking photos to be sure.

I happened to be looking through some of my 2008 video from Sossusvlei a few days ago so found these particularly interesting. I even recognize a couple of the sand dunes.

I'm going to use your concept for some of my stills, just hope I can find a place to have them printed. Thanks for sharing!