New
Find
Notify
Tools

1 camera
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need a new camera..it's been 6 years or more since I purchased one. I'm not a good photographer and struggle with SLR cameras. If you were going to pick just one camera for safari with zoom and ease of use the most important features..which one would get the nod?

small and something that fits in my pocket would be a big plus as well...respond like you're talking to a guy who doesn't understand ANYTHING about cameras... hilbily

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it must be pocket size then Panasonic ZS60
If you can go bigger then Nikon P900.
Both great for your needs.

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
The Panasonic ZS100 gets good reviews

http://www.imaging-resource.co...panasonic-zs100A.HTM

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see that when I look at zoom..sometimes they say optical or digital. Can someone explain what the difference is and what I should be looking for.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have used all three cameras mentioned above, and without any hesitation, I would pick the Panasonic ZS60.

If you look at the photos in my hunt report on the AFRICAN hunting forum, most are taken by this camera.

The ZS100 takes does not have the zoom range if the ZS60.

And the Nikon P900 is great at extreme zoom , has an83X optical zoom,
But the photo quality is nowhere near as good as the Panasonic.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67080 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have never used any of the cameras above, and certainly don't have a horse in this race, but here's one comparison of the two Panasonic models.

http://cameradecision.com/comp...onic-Lumix-DMC-ZS100

They both have their strong points. Saeed is probably a very reliable source on both of these cameras, if only because he has used them in real world conditions.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone...

I think I'll go with Saeed's Panasonic ZS60 recommendation. His pics looks really good and I think this should be enough zoom to work for my needs.

I figure anyone who's spent as many days on the ground in Africa as Saeed probably knows what works.. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have used all three cameras mentioned above, and without any hesitation, I would pick the Panasonic ZS60.

If you look at the photos in my hunt report on the AFRICAN hunting forum, most are taken by this camera.

I was really disappointed with the Nikon P900. While the 83X zoom was cool, the picture quality was the pits. Color balance and sharpness was unimpressive. Mine found another home. I am back to being a Cannon guy with the T6i and a EF 100-400. Hate the weight, but love the picture quality.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Wink, I have no horse in this race either. I also have no experience with the Panasonic camera's, but we have seen enough of Saeed's lovely photography to know that they work fine. About three or four years back, I felt the need to get a quality camera that was simple to operate, and small and compact enough to carry around when weight and bulk nixed my carrying my bigger and much bulkier Nikon gear.

After diligent research, I chose the Nikon Coolpix P7100. I have never regretted doing so. Attached are some photos that I've taken with it. If the need arose, I would't hesitate getting another.

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple more that my wife took in South Africa a couple months ago.

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

I was really disappointed with the Nikon P900. While the 83X zoom was cool, the picture quality was the pits. Color balance and sharpness was unimpressive. Mine found another home. I am back to being a Cannon guy with the T6i and a EF 100-400. Hate the weight, but love the picture quality.

You are right.

The colour balance of the Nikon P900 is bloody awful.

But, it really shine as an ultra zoom, and one can correct the photos in Photoshop.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67080 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote