Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon D60
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted
I have a Nikon D60 that is acting up and sometimes it'll snap the picture and the next few times it won't. Where would be a good place to send it for repair...I really like the camera. Any guess as to what camera repairs cost? Thanks!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KEH in Smyrna Ga

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I also have a D60 and still use it. You don't say much about the what lens you are using or in what context (camera settings, continuous firing, flash or not, etc). You might want to do some initial trouble shooting yourself, since the problem may be simple, like the lens got switched to manual focus by accident and the camera won't let an unfocused shot happen because it's in "focus" release mode and not "release" release mode.

1) Clean all the electrical contacts, such as those on the batteries and the battery socket in the camera. Then also clean all the electrical contacts on the lens and on the camera lens mount. Don't use a pencil eraser! Find something more appropriate like: Radio Shack Color TV Tuner Cleaner, Catalog No. 64-3320. This is an aerosol sold for cleaning the mechanical tuners of older TVs. I spray a bit on a soft cloth or Q-tip and wipe it on the contacts. Another option is: DeOxit electrical contact cleaner.

While you're at it, clean the hot shoe contacts as well.

Does it not fire at all, or only when a lens is mounted? Is the situation the same with all lenses?

2) Try a different, fast, memory card. Memory cards can fail also. There are also electrical contacts there, both on the card and in the camera card slot (too hard to clean for me).

Sometimes camera settings get changed and that can cause what appears to be failure, when in fact a setting won't let the camera fire. There are a lot of examples of what these settings might be, but if you feel you've done all possible trouble shooting with no luck, then any authorized Nikon dealer should be able to either fix it themselves (or at least see if it's a camera problem or a lens problem) or arrange for shipping and repair to Nikon service centers in the USA.

Here's a link:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/se...zed-repair-list.page

Lastly, your batteries may be getting old. This particular camera is not worth very much any more. The repair bill will probably be more than the worth of the camera, since there is a minimum just to check the camera at a Nikon Service Center, then parts and labor for the repair, even if it is a simple cleaning.

Dave gave the KEH reference. Their site gives prices for used cameras in excellent condition (with 6 month guarantees to boot). It might be time to upgrade.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Since I mention upgrading, rather than spending money on repairing a now obsolete camera, here are my recommendations for "best-bang-for-bucks" Nikon APS-C format cameras.

If you've been happy with a 10 megapixel camera, you'll be happy with a 12 or 16 MP camera, and you won't have to also upgrade any lenses you might already have. The latest high megapixel cameras really require a better class of lens (read expensive) to make them worth the investment. Here goes:

1) A used but clean Nikon D300s 12 MP camera body. This was, until the D500 came out a couple of months ago, the only Nikon professional APS-C sensor camera. It's a tank, takes rugged use in stride, is weather sealed and has a high frames per second shooting capacity, good for sports and wildlife. You'll have to change memory cards to the Compact Flash CF card.

2) The Nikon D7000 16 MP camera body. Has some nice additional functions (like easy access programable user setting memory), higher dynamic range, semi-pro construction.

3) The "least cost" upgrade would be a D90 12 MP body. This is still a very good camera and the used prices are incredibly low.

Neither of the first two are "point and shoot" DSLRs, but you can program them fairly easily for your most common shooting needs. If you go to a 24 MP camera body, you really need to upgrade to only high end glass. If you want to go to the top of the class, then order (and stand in line) for a D500 and be prepared to invest in some good lenses. FYI, I own all of the the recommended camera bodies, in addition to the D60. The D300s and the D90 are on "loan" to my daughter, and she takes very good shots with both. I doubt she'll ever give them back.

The KEH site is reliable for good deals on these camera bodies.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave!

Wink...you ask to may questions Smiler...It's been awhile on the cleaning. I'll give it a go first and Thank you for the other info.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote