New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Olympus C5050
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going tomorrow to buy a new digital camera. I have about decided on the Olympus C5050 and was wondering if anyone had any experience - bad or good - with it. Thanks.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out this review, has plenty of detail information - it is a great big world out there when it comes to digital cameras - KMule web page

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks KMule. Of course, now I am more confused but better informed if that makes any sense. It never fails that when I buy something like this afterward I should have gotten something else, but in my case it is a question of money and knowing that there is always going to be a better product tomorrow and you can't keep waiting to make sure you get the "latest and greatest." Great website though. Appreciate the imput.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on the C5050 but I can on the Oly C4040Zoom. I've used it for about a year now. It replaced a Fuji 1.3 megapixel that did not have a zoom. So much better, but oh so much more complicated. Truth be told, it's the most complicated to operate device of anything I own. Functions and settings galore! I just hope I'll be able to learn most of it's capability by the time it's needed in Namibia next August.

I heard Kim Komando say this past weekend that Sony just came out with an 8 megapixel camera. She was miffed cause she had recently bought what she thought was the latest and greatest--a 6 megapixel digicam--didn't give the brand name. Have you looked? Some of them are downright bulky. Not so the Oly.

Random thoughts...My C4040 doesn't show that purple fringing apparent on the C5050 review. The C4040 is relatively small and lightweight yet shoots large enough pics that even when cropped hard don't look grainy. I recently took 119 SHQ pics on a 128 mb Smartmedia card and had a little room to spare. The zoom is nice although a bit noisy. Believe me, a wild turkey or whitetailed deer at 30 yards could hear it easily. The 1.8 fast lens is nothing short of sublime.

I guess it all boils down to what exactly you want to use it for. Real pricy if all you want is a replacement for a point-and-shoot Brownie type. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gotogirl3 - you are very welcome. I jumped into the digital format several years ago and purchased two Fuji cameras, both are basic units and have proven to be very reliable plus they take good quality photos. At this time, I am looking to upgrade to a higher quality camera with more control over the photo taking process; this is quite a task as so many are available. Yes, you are very correct about jumping in and buying with the knowledge that a "better/lower cost alternative/more attractive package with more features" will be introduced shortly after you purchase one (kinda like getting married) - enjoy your camera, takes LOTS of photos to learn the various functions and capabilities of the camera, tinker with all the different settings, you can delete the "bad" photos at no cost and keep on learning during the entire process - have fun - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a chance to handle a 5050 recently - a very capable camera, many features , will take you a while to learn all the buttons. Looks like a very good value. If you're interested in taking more photos at a distance you might look at the similar C750.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bit the bullet and bought the C5050Z yesterday. It will take me a couple of weeks, but I'll try to post some pics and update you on the specs for the camera.