Find
Notify
Tools

A word of caution regarding filters.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted
One of my prized lenses is the Nikon 17-35 F2.8. I usually keep a HAZE or UV filter on all my lenses to protect the objective from impact or scratching.

Well, imagine my surprise last week when I went to remove the filter to put another one on and it would not come loose. Perhaps a little moisture got in and rust had got on the threads. I took it to the repair shop and got it back in a day. Everything is ok with it now.

Now I am storing my filters separately, until needed.

No report as to what they found.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
There is no need to store them separately. Simply get into a routine of taking a swap or even a q-tip dipped in isopropyl alcohol or acetone and run it across the threads of the filter a few times until clean. Do the same to the the "receiving" threads of the lens. Let dry, replace the filter -- and you're good for another 3-4 months or so. (Just be careful to keep the solvent off the glass surfaces.)

If you happen to be using your gear in an environment that is extremely humid, sandy or dusty, then you'll need to do this more often, but 3-4 months is fine for the majority of situations.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9344 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote