THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PRACTICAL PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM

Page 1 2 

Moderators: Pete E, Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Digital Camera From Canon 11.1 M Pixels!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Gentlemen,

I just read that Canon is introducing a new SLR digital camera, with a resolution of over 11 Mega Pixels!

Apparent the announcement will be made duting the new Exhibition on the 24 of this month in Germany.

The CMOD sensor covers the same area as a 35 mm negative, so it should be interesting to see how it performs.

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The death of film is on the horizon.

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by spectr17:

Nope, film can be pressed and played with in a much higher degree than pixels can. Beside the digital picture is not very good if you would like to enlarge pictures they tend to loose contrast and brightness. The old silver screen will live longer than some other "inovations"

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan,
Upto now you are correct however the professional photographers I spoke with that have been playing around with digital told me digital and 35mm will begin to get indistingushable at around 8 megapixels. This new cannon at 11 megapixels is a substancial improvement over this estimate.(and these guys are playing with the pro stuff at 4 and 5 megapixels)
I am looking foward to seeing some pictures and reading the specs on this new camera.

Saeed, spectr17 if you see a report please post it and I will look around as well!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Johan I too am a lover of the silver halide, although I have been forced to yield. My good friend is a professional photographer & his 16x24 prints will blow your mind! I could not begin to believe the sharpness & resolution of his prints. But in all fairness he was using that high dollar Nikon D1X, nikon lens, with the Kodak back too.

[ 10-03-2002, 17:12: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

Sure digital are good for some use, still the silver screen has advantages that the pixels can't match. I have friend who work with areal photography and uses only silver film because of it qualities and options of manipulating with exposure times and film settings.

I guess digital cameras are good for magazines and hunting pictures, but trying to enlarge a digital picture will not always be easy or very good.I have been playing around with a nikon D1 for most of the summer, I still like my old nikon F3 and Fm 2 that will run in any weather regardles of batteries and cold [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Greg,

Try this link. The forums are great for all sorts of news on digital equipment.

Rob Galbrieth's

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Saeed!
That looks to be a very interesting forum.

I found this info on the Canon 11.1 megapixel camera. This is going to be interesting to follow!

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EOS1DS/E1DSA.HTM

Also I found the cost on another site - The EOS 1Ds will be available in November at an RRP of �6999.99

[ 10-04-2002, 18:39: Message edited by: amosgreg ]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me bend this thread my direction a minute. I am about to pull the trigger on a new digital camera for Christmas. I am focused on Canon or Olympus. The use will be general (hunting, family, vacation, etc.)

Three Olympus cameras appeal to me. the C-50 Zoom, the C-720 Ultra Zoom, and the C-730 Ultra Zoom.

The Canons that appeal to me are the PowerShot S40 or S30.

Anyone got a vote for any of the above, or want to point me another direction? I would appreciate it.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Olympus 4040

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kensco, I picked up a Kodak DC4800 Zoom over a year ago. Got a $100 rebate plus some free goodies. It's a 3.1 MP camera and about as simple and idiot proof as they can get. Takes super pictures. I've blown them up and printed them on my inkjet at 8 1/2 X 11" photo paper and they rival anything my 35 mm will do.

What I'm saying is I don't think you can top this camera with anything for the price. (Assuming Kodak hasn't discontinued it with something else.)

Also, it's an all metal camera and not some cheap piece of plastic. Built pretty solid.

Sure digital SLR's are the wave of the future, but their cost is still staggering. No one should pitch their 35mms in the dumpster just yet! We'll talk about this subject again in 3 or 4 years.

I like my 35mm lots better than ANY digital camera when you get right down to it. The 35mm SLR is just so much easier and versatile to work with. Digitals are good, but they are kindof strange ducks to me.

That said, I haven't used my 35 mm since I got this...but every time I go out to take pictures of anything, I wish for it. Am I strange or just fickle? [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Davit_M
posted Hide Post
Gents,

Here is a link to another site with a review on the EOS1-DS. [Cool]

Steves Digicams - Canon EOS-1 DS

Dave

Posts: 146 | Location: Montana - Big Sky Country | Registered: 04 June 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Kensco,

I have been using a Canon S40 for a few months, and absoluitely love it.

<Fisher>
posted
Holy crap guys !!!!

Does that amount convert to $10,957.79 or did I misplace a decimal point there. My old Canon elan7 keeps looking better and better every day.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope Fisher that is the price!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, on your Canon S40 what accessories did you find you couldn't live without?

one of us
Picture of TheeBadOne
posted Hide Post
Saeed, you use a Canon S40? Where is your D1X?

Posts: 4394 | Location: USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kensco
I am a great fan of Canon. The S40 I bought last x'mas is great, but I would advise you to inquire also on the G2 Pro.
The drawback of these cameras is that not unlike the BigBore syndrom, you tend to go for always more pixels than you realy need. That's why I ordered a 1 Ds which I should get within 6 weeks.

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't made a choice yet, but I find myself staring at the Olympus C-50 a lot. They are calling it 5.0 megapixel, which means nothing to me. It has a 3x optical zoom combined with 4x digital zoom for 12x total seamless. On the web page they say it will be available this month. Sounds good.

The Canon S40 is my second choice right now.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Sorry I have been checking this forum as often as I should have!

I use an IMATION USB card reader to trasnfer the photos to my computer, and a Cannon CP-10 credit card size dye sublimation printer. Works great directly from the camera, although I would have preferred it if I could use it with the computer. They said they are coming up with drivers for it, but so far nothing has appeared.

I do use my Dx1, but I find this cCannon is so small I just drop it in my pocket most of the time.

I understand Kidak has come up with a 14 M pixel camera!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Which is your favorite the D1x or the Cannon? My D1x seems to take magenta tinted pictures. I'm thinking of making a change.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Oleman>
posted
quote:
When it can produce the quality of an 8 x 10 negative then that will be a reality...........

one of us
posted Hide Post
One only needs to look at where digital cameras were 5 years ago and compare that to today's cameras to see the death of film coming. Movie studios are finally moving over to digitial. The game camera community is moving over. The advantages and conveniences are just too great.

The last photographer to use silver halide has been born I dare say.

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Longbob,
That pricegrabber link was to the 4.1 megapixel EOS D not the 11.1 version EOS DS.

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
amosgreg,

You are right. My mistake. The MSRP on the 11.1 is currently showing $8,999. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EOS1DS/E1DSA.HTM

one of us
posted Hide Post
If my arithmetic and understanding are correct, that is about equivalent to 60 lines pairs/mm. Gents, that is GOOD. Need a good lens to use that capability, at least at the edge of the photo, where lenses usually have problems. Get that price down a few thousand, and film will be history.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oleman:
quote:
When it can produce the quality of an 8 x 10 negative then that will be a reality...........
When it can produce the quality of a good 6cm x 6cm negative made with a Zeiss lens it will be a reality.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that large negatives are used more for ease in retouching and handling than for inherent ability to produce resolution on the print, with the possible exception of aerial reconnaissance, where at least tens of thousands of dollars are spent on single lenses.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I told my daughter to buy me the Canon PowerShot S40 for Christmas. If I don't like it I plan to blame you, Saeed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let us know what you think of it Kensco.

I plan on getting a digital early next year and am still undecided.
Thanks

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
amosgreg,

I have a Canon S200 (2 megapixel) that I really, really like. I took it to Africa with me and took all of my photos with it except for the ones on my shark dive. It's a durable little buggar and slips in your pocket. Take a long, hard look at the Canon S230 (3 megapixel). It is in the same chassis and I would buy it in a heartbeat if I didn't already have mine.

I also have a Sony Mavica that I rarely use as compared to the little Cannon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Longbob,

The camera that has cought my eye is Pentax OPTIO 330GS

The thing uses AA batteries as well as the Lithium rechargable.

Why AA you ask? Well ..... my daughter is going to Europe in an exchage type program next year (Spain,Sweden, Germany and France) and I want to be able to send batteries with her as opposed to try to get the different adapters for the recharger and make sure she understands the difference. [Big Grin]

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Eric,

I like both. The D1X is a lot better in quality, and also has the ability to use longer lenses.

The Canon is better at being pocketable.

Kensco,

Ask your daughter to get you the S45. This one has just superceded the S40.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We just hit the wall on the S40. Can't find but one in Dallas, and it's a demo. (First time I've heard of the S45.)

I'm switching horses. I told her to go after the Olympus C720 Ultra Zoom. She found them on sale for under $400.

(Picking a digital camera is worse than picking the biggest bull out of a herd.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kensco,
No, it's worse than dreaming about picking the biggest bull out of the herd! I guess I havn't been lucky enough to have to make the bull decision yet [Big Grin] just trying to make the digital decision!

[ 11-26-2002, 22:49: Message edited by: amosgreg ]

one of us
Picture of TheeBadOne
posted Hide Post
C-730 can be had for decent prices too, and it's 10x optical zoom, 3.2 megapixels

Posts: 4394 | Location: USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 10 or 11 megapixel cameras are interesting but I think they have a special purpose for those that need really large images like bigger than 20x30. I've seen 20x30's made from a D1X and they are incredible when the right digital workflow (software) is applied. Even for magazine work I'm not sure there will be much of a need for cameras over 5 or 6 megapix. One thing to keep in mind is that not all pixels are created equal. In this case size matters. You don't have the same size pixel in a point & shoot that you do in one of the pro digital cameras. I've got a D1H and the images really pop when I do my part. 8x10's printed on my Epson ink jet are outstanding and most people don't believe it when they see the results. If you go with a 11 mpix camera you better have stock in the compact flash card companies.

-

Posts: 155 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With Quote
<DMCI>
posted
On a dark and wintery night at the beach, my cousins dragged me with my little D1X out to take a picture of what they thought was a remarkable sunset. I on the other hand wanted to finish dinner. "Out!" said my aunt and with that...

-

This in near darkness!

[ 12-10-2002, 11:52: Message edited by: DMCI ]

<GlennB>
posted
After much gnashing of teeth and hair pulling, I ordered a Canon G3 today. The reviews were consistently better than anything in its class.

The reason why I am going digital is because of what the x-rays at the airports do to the film. I found out that the effects are cumulative, that the checked luggage x-rays are 10 times what the conveyor belt at the gate is, and that some of those idiots refuse to hand check film. This occurs most often in countries outside the U.S.

There is a web site called www.photographyreview.com that was extremely helpful in determining my choice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
GlennB
Let us know and post some pics while you are learing how to use it!