Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon D3000 Flash Question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
The D3000 has a built in flash, but I couldn't find it. So, I put it in the fill flash option and looked at the front of the camera as I shot a photo. I saw a flash of light come out of a slit in front of where you would add the external flash.

Certainly this couldn't be all the flash there is - could it? It looks like this section can be lifted up. I used slight pressure and it moved a bit, but I'm afraid to force it open.

What am I missing?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Just learned that the area I'm referencing houses a pop up flash, but mine doesn't pop up. Not good. I leave for Africa in 11 days.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
On the top dial which rotates there is an "Auto" setting. Have you tried taking a picture in the evening (low ambient light) when set to Auto? If the flash doesn't pop up and fire (assuming your batteries are charged), and there is a memory card in the slot, then you probably should take it to a Nikon dealer for repair asap. The brief light you saw may have been the autofocus assist.

Under other settings your camera may be just increasing the ISO, rather than using the flash, but the manual will tell you how provoke the flash. But you should never have to lift up the flash manually.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wink. I called Nikon and we tried several things, but it won't pop up. I don't have time to send it back before my safari so I guess I'll try and find a cheap flash attachment.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Get a Nikon Speedlight SB-400.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get a Nikon Speedlight SB-400.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reference you guys. I phoned my local camera store (one hour away) and they have one in stock for $149. That is more than I wanted to spend so I called our friends at CameraLand NY to get there price. They had the Nikon, but recommended I get the Promaster 2500edf. Said it was more poweful and cheaper - $75.00 shipped and I'll have before I leave!