Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon 70-200 F4
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
I ordered a D750 and 24-120 f4 over the weekend.

Anyone have the Nikon 70-200 F4?

Posts: 6408 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I've got one. Capable of excellent sharpness.

Ming Thein likes it

https://blog.mingthein.com/201...a-cityscapes-part-i/

So does Nasim Mansurov

https://photographylife.com/re...ikon-70-200mm-f4g-vr

Here's one of mine with this lens, taken at a local wild animal drive through park.

My "user recommendation" is to set it to f/5.6 and try to use it at 1/1000th or faster, bumping up the ISO if necessary to keep higher shutter speeds. I only use the VR on if I can't get a high shutter speed. If I can get 1/1000th or faster I turn the VR off. Just seems to work better for me.

Here's another wild critter.

By the way, I bought the Kirk lens collar, better than the Nikon version. But I hardly ever use it. If I'm going to break out the monopod or the tripod then I'll use my 300mm lens.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Wink

thanks. good info and great pics.

Rich

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I bought one of those new 80 - 400mm Nikkor lenses. It seems to be a great lens for harassing wildlife. The image stabilization of this new one is light years ahead of the old model of that lens. It's a great go-to lens for our area as a lot of shooting is open country or mixed scrub and it makes it hard to panther up on critters. I've used a lot of 200 fixed lenses and while they take good, sharp pictures. You are forever too close or too far away and I like to crop as much as I can on site.

80-400 nikkor by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

mallard by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

sharp tail by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

John Rabbit by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

Hungarian Refugee by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Nice bazooka. I got the D750 camera but no new lenses

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
D750

I upgraded to full format about 3 years ago and bought the D810. I have since looked at the D750 and despite the fact that it's nearly half the megapixel, it has a LOT of features that I like better than the D810.

The 810 is first and last a pig to carry around. For a lot of general, walk around, critter annoying I still like my old 5300 and I think the 750 is more towards that size and weight.

Also, the view finder on the 750 is tiltable and a lot of times on soft targets it's nice to use the magnify features of those cameras to look at a tiny area to bring the focus to dead sharp (if you have time) With the non-tiltable view finder that's a pain in the ass because you have to get down behind the camera.

The last beef is no WiFi in the D810. With the D5300 and the D710 you can hide your camera in strategic places near feeders or nests and then access the camera viewfinder, focus and shoot from 50 feet away with a cell phone or tablet. I have waded up to my tits in cold water and sat by duck and goose nests for hours at a time in the bad old days to wait for victims. Now I wade out, drive the tripod into the mud, set the camera up 10 inches over the water and cover it with camo net and go sit in my truck with my tablet tied to the camera via WiFi and drink coffee and wait. MUCH more civilized ! Plus, critters are much more forgiving of a tiny, quiet camera under netting than a shivering, old, fat guy laying down 6 feets away! I have to use the D5300 for that crap as the 810 has no WiFi. I usually use the D810 at the same time with the bigger lenses from a distance, but I always get much better shots from the camera hidden mere feet, or inches away with an 18mm lens shoved up the critters ass. LOL

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Adding a remote unit to control a D810 shouldn't be a big deal. This one (which I think sells on Amazon) will let you control the D810 with your telephone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR0K_-4uICA

There's this:

https://www.amazon.com/2PJ0798...0WZRMBX0S0HTTEBA4XZ8

I've never tried any of these units, only heard of them. I'm still lugging around my D810 and I'm confident a smaller and lighter camera would meet most people's needs. It just wouldn't meet mine. There's just something about the D810 sensor that gives me the tonalities I like. I'm not yet ready to call it "first and last a pig to carry around". It's value is in the results you get, not how little effort you expended getting it where you want it to be.

The above photo is Lion Rock at Piha Beach in New Zealand, with fixed focal length 28mm Nikkor.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
Adding a remote unit to control a D810 shouldn't be a big deal. This one (which I think sells on Amazon) will let you control the D810 with your telephone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR0K_-4uICA

There's this:

https://www.amazon.com/2PJ0798...0WZRMBX0S0HTTEBA4XZ8

I've never tried any of these units, only heard of them. I'm still lugging around my D810 and I'm confident a smaller and lighter camera would meet most people's needs. It just wouldn't meet mine. There's just something about the D810 sensor that gives me the tonalities I like. I'm not yet ready to call it "first and last a pig to carry around". It's value is in the results you get, not how little effort you expended getting it where you want it to be.

Now that is VERY interesting. Thanks wink. I had no idea that such a thing existed. I have gotten a lot of shots that were otherwise impossible using a remote camera and waiting near by. Birds nests are the big one but I have used them in stubble fields with deer too. As long as you cover them with something the animals seem to ignore them. Big lumps with old fat guys under them don't get the same response.

I guess I'm not as young as I used to be. After 6 or 8 hours of slugging around in the bush, those big cameras and lenses drags me down now. They sure are nice to use though. The D810 takes some of the best pictures Ive gotten from digital. I used to pack a Canon T90 around with a 200 to 500 Tameron and an 80- 200 Tokina and they never seemed as heavy. Even though that fool Tameron was 2 feet long! LOL

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
If you just want to trip the shutter but need better range (50 meters in line of sight) then there's the Nikon Wireless Remote system. This will also let you trip the shutter on several cameras simultaneously, with of course a receiver on each camera body.

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-W...ikon+wireless+remote

One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee

I am aware of the remotes. What I want to be able to do is veiw remotly, focus and shoot. The WiFi system you showed me is even more powerfull as you can change F stops and shutter speed. Am going to order one this weekend. I'll let you know how it works out.

Remember when lenses were long, only worked at high noon when the gunfighters played and every time you pressed the shutter you burned up a dollars worth of Kr64? I don't miss those days so very much!
LOL

Gunsmith Rod Henrickson Long Lens by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Rod,

Did you ever find the remote control mechanism you're looking for?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a forty year old 80-200 that I use on the film cameras and whenever I breakdown and get a Df the lenses are supposed to work on it. I'm not sure what the optical differences are between the older lenses and the new ones, except the old ones weigh about twice as much.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:
I have a forty year old 80-200 that I use on the film cameras and whenever I breakdown and get a Df the lenses are supposed to work on it. I'm not sure what the optical differences are between the older lenses and the new ones, except the old ones weigh about twice as much.

I chipped an old 500mm mirror lens and the results are just fine. This isn't lens reputed to be super sharp, but on a 12MP D700 the results are sufficient to me. I posted about this some time ago.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...491043422#8491043422

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I have an 80-200 push pull . works ok

quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info- I keep waiting for Nikon to introduce the Df2, so that I can get a Df at closeout prices.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
Rod,

Did you ever find the remote control mechanism you're looking for?

No wink, I got busy at the shop making muzzle brakes and I've been putting every second minute I can spare into getting them done. Funny thing though. When I'm busy, my visa bill looks like Scrooge McDucks, but let things slow down a bit and that card will be so hot I have to dip it in my coffee to keep it from melting down. I'm sure that as soon as I get time to think again I will be looking into that remote again. Of course I don't need it, but that's just an excuse that cheapskates use to justify not blowing money on stuff. LOL

Rod Henrickson