New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Pocket Camera with GPS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My Sony HX7 took an unintended bath in a river in Kalimantan day before yesterday. I will wait and see but think I am up for replacement.Water was quite gritty too, so is the camera now!

I need a camera with good zoom, gps and preferably compass.

Two I am looking at (on the internet until I get back to where I can see them) are the Sony HX9 and the Canon SX230HS. The Sony has higher magnification and a compass, useful in my work. However Canon has a great reputation for quality too.

I welcome some feedback from users. I wont have much time to look so would rather do most of the search here.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1910 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
There is a new Nikon AW100 (I think that's the designation) that has GPS, compass and is waterproof to 10ft or something. Might want to check it out.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have tried both the Sony HX9 and the Canon SX230HS.

The Canon has better picture quality than teh Sony.

In fact, we stopped using the Sony altogether.

We have not tried either the compass or the GPS.

Sony seems to have mixe3d results with their different cameras.

The HX1 was great.

The HX100 is bloody awful.

Of the bridge cameras, Panasonic seems to hold all the cards.

On safari I used the Panasonic FZ100, with great results.

I have just gotten the FZ 150, which I am going to take with me to the Alps next week.

Will report back how it performed.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67060 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nikon AW100

Thanks Saeed. I will check the Canon on the weekend in Singapore.

I have had no trouble with the Sony, except for the gps being very slow, and of course it does not like to take a bath!

Wink, thanks, I need more magnification than 5x. Sometimes I need to photograph rocks etc that I cannot get close to, particularly when there are crocodiles in the water!

Thanks, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1910 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Now there is also the Canon S100 which replaces the S95.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote