New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fur Sale
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The reports from the UTA fur sale that is ending today have cat prices way down from last year. Sounds like they are averaging around or under $300. There were cats that didn't get bids. Sounds like coyote prices are about like last year. My fur is supposed to sell today, doesn't look good though.

Posts: 118 | Location: Price Utah | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I just sold mine last week, one large extra special cat brought $400, a nice female brought $200. y foxes were $18-$25.. Coyotes $15-$30..Yes cat prices have collapsed in the last month

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How many of everything did you catch, Elkman? You didn't get started till late. I caught two coons recently but turned them loose because one was muddy and they were both scrawny.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
2 Cats and 6 foxs. Also 6 skunks but they don't count. I lost 2 coyotes and missed another cat last week.alos a deer and a ewe!!! both of them pulled free on their own!!! Conditions are bad here, freeze and thaw every day and I will pull everything in a few days. I pulled half of the traps last Monday and have 9 out now.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job!

I got a coon today i had to shoot because it was in a coilspring. Will put the hide in the freezer till next year. Gettin my other stuff off the boards gettin ready to ship. 12 muskrats, 1 beaver, 3 coons, 3 squirrels and 1 skunk. One skunk is still in the freezer and another one has the hair slipping. I'll save it for bait. Hope to get some foxes next year that's a lot more of a challenge. I envy your cats, too. That would be an awesome catch.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I have a skunk hat which I absolutely love, very soft fur, very warm, and I always get a few looks. What is the market for skunk fur? Is it dyed and used for other things? Anything commercial at any material level?

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Skunks are worth $10-15.00 But even if they were worth $50.00 NFW I would skin one.I am getting good at shooting them though. I use a high shoulder shot with the 22LR. Paralyzes them I just shoot to kill after that

one of us
posted Hide Post
My furs brought 108.00

1 Beaver 25.00
12 muskrats 62.50
3 squirrel 1.50
2 skunks (caught early maybe not prime?) 5.00
1 big white possum 2.00
3 coons 12.00 (? i thought they were good ones...but who knows)

Also a compliment. He said i must have got the biggest red squirrel in the county!! It WAS pretty, wish i'd of kept it.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

One of Us
Picture of Willy's .450
posted Hide Post
jees, the last time i sold beaver at market i got an average of $40 for them. i would be pissed if i sold fur nowadays.

geoff

OOORAH!!!

Posts: 66 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 08 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Plinker603:
My furs brought 108.00

1 Beaver 25.00
12 muskrats 62.50
3 squirrel 1.50
2 skunks (caught early maybe not prime?) 5.00
1 big white possum 2.00
3 coons 12.00 (? i thought they were good ones...but who knows)

Also a compliment. He said i must have got the biggest red squirrel in the county!! It WAS pretty, wish i'd of kept it.

Plinker

I remeber in HS in the '70s you NEVER saw dead fur on the road.
Always got picked up quick!
Oh well, I don't trap for the money, but the check helps pay the expenses. And grays were up nicely this year!

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If my dad were still here he would die again over these catches and prices. During the late 40s and early 50s he would run his 2 dozen traps after work and I got to tag along on Saturday. I have seen fur sales where he walked away with $800 t0 $1500 for his prime mink and muskrats. Boar mink in prime would bring $ 35-$50 with sows about $15 less. His pelts were always completely fleshed and board dried, other than coons that were stretched. Nobody had a freezer, so that was never a choice. Muskrats would bring $ 5.00 and coons were so abundant that they were a nusiance even during the Davie Crockett faze they only bring $5.00 and I recall the carcass being sold for $1.00, the same as the pelt sometimes. When caught and not drown he would put a single .22 twix the eyes of coons and the mink and muskrats drown in the trap. Commercial fur farmers and synthetics ended all that. I remember it well, but do not miss it.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote