New
Find
Notify
Tools

Setting a trap
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I see this all the time on tv and in some books, Idiot experts setting a Victor or NewHouse trap by standing on the trap springs and working inside the jaws, Im sure that sooner or later they wear the trap home and its damn hard to drive with 8 fingers caught it a trap..

The proper way is to bend the trap over your knee, allowing one jaw to flop down, then your working under the trap and if it slips or springs your not in it..You set the trigger an allow some tension, pull the arms to you and using a ground cloth over the trigger, sifter dirt over the trap and a drag, do not tie a bear or Lion trap to a post or whatever, that first jump will destroy a steel trap on many ocassion unless its loose with a drag that hangs up in a short distance...I have never seen this method in a book or on TV...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hal Sullivan says if you trap, sooner or later you're gonna get pinched.

I tried setting a 330, had to give it up.
Springs are just too strong for me.
Needs a scissors type setting tool.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I tried setting a 330, had to give it up.
Springs are just too strong for me.
Needs a scissors type setting tool.

I would like to meet the man who could set a 330 with out a tool.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the record I specifically stated a #4 Victor, or Newhouse coyote, wolf, Bobcat or Lion trap..There are many traps that require a tool to set them..I have no experience with other traps and we didn't trap bears on purpose..I had some huge bear traps with teeth, must have weighed 150 to 200 lbs, but sold them to collectors for big bucks, wish I had kept them..Never had anyway to set them or the desire to use them, Id probably have caught a horse or cow..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have made sets with hundreds of no. 4s over the knee works well. When I was younger 10 to 14 or so I use a trap setting tool.

A No.6 New house bear traps weigh right about 50 pounds. My no.5 I guessing 40 or so. maybe later I'll dig it out and weigh it..

My Dad and uncle were a couple of the last professional bear trappers in Wis. Using leg hold traps.

They had a couple dozen traps. Sold all them off after it was out lawed. Except the one I still own.

I would love to know the brand that weight 150-200lbs

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I would like to meet the man who could set a 330 with out a tool.[/QUOTE]

If I'm ever in your neck of the woods, I'll stop by. Go to the WI Trappers Association rendezvous and you'll meet some there too.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never seen anybody set one that just using his hands.

At least one foot if not both and both hands.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I made a video a couple of years back about setting traps. There were some times my fingers were inside, I would have sworn they were not.

https://youtu.be/VShum1UOZqM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
everything but 4 coil traps on your knee. 330's are set with a 1/4 inch nylon rope. Way easier and faster than the scissor thingies.

Posts: 79 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 28 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Meh. I'm a girl so I use trap setting tools with absolutely no shame.

wave

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Atkinson

How did y0u set your # 14 and # 13 Jumps?

KJK

Posts: 677 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As stated above Ive only used Victor and New House #4 traps for coyote, fox, bobcat,and Mt.Lions..set the trap over my knee and worked under the jaws..I learned my lesson the day I had to drive my pickup 12 miles to the house with both hands wearing the trap..low gear worked best! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't as I said I have only used #4 New House and Victors

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Victor # 14 Jump Trap. Great for beaver and winter coyote trapping. Many moons ago I had to walk out of the woods with one of these wrapped around my left hand. Still have the scar today!

KJK

Posts: 677 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Here's One Hand Setters on an Alaskan #9,, sure was a treat to get these in the mail! I have a set for all my coil springs and a special set for my !14 jumps,while it is certainly easier the most important factor is safety..

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could set a 330 without a tool, but there's a trick to it.

Hold the trap vertically on the ground, then step on the bottom jaws. Hold it firmly to the ground, bend down, and set one spring with both hands and attach the safety hook. Then set the other spring the same way.

Posts: 6094 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I struggle with using a long handled tool to open the 220's! Yikes!

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Never seen anybody set one that just using his hands.

At least one foot if not both and both hands.

Here’s a link to my 15 year old setting one.
https://youtube.com/shorts/0vJk9Tfwrk8?feature=share

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Only way I could set traps as a kid was to stand on it. Weren’t no shame in my game.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote