Find
Notify
Tools

Wolf Rifles ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
Anyone have any sucess with a .264 cal match bullet .... .. Shot any foxes with that bullet ... did the fox stay together ...????????????????

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a wolf rifle something maybe a little smaller with a bullet similar to a barnes solid should do the trick. But then I'm thinking of in the dead of winter when most of the larger meat eating critters are asleep. I like the little CZ527 in .223 with iron sights and topped off with a fixed 4 pwr scope with quick detatch rings/bases. Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
The centerfire .22's do work well on wolf and there hides are thick enough that they don't tend to get torn up with a larger cal bullet ether.
Back when I was the fur buyer and handeler at the AK fur exchange and Bruner of Alaska before that I bought , Handeled and skinned hundreds of wolfs. I don't ever remember any of them being badly dammaged by the bullet.
Your 264 should work fine with a match or FMJ. I remember a few years ago handing my .454 to a client of mine who had just put a wolf down but it wasn't dead and he was out of ammo for his rifle. He finnished the wolf off with a 300 gr. XTP mag and still the whole wasn't to bad.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply,s ... .. Now that I live up here in fur hunting country I am researching the perfect fur rifle for fox - wolf and wolverine .............. I have a 223 on the way but I have talked to several guys who have lost wolves to the 22 centerfires that they hit well ... Probably the 243 will end up being the rifle , but I am thinking that a 260 Rem would be very very good with the 90 -110 gr solids like the GS SP or the Barnes Banded Solid ... @ 2900 - 3000 fps it may not blow a fox up with a lung shot but should still have plenty of snoose for wolf @500 yards .....And it would be a great caribou rifle round .....

I guess the 223 has a standard twist of i-12 " I want to try the 65 gr Sierra Game King in it .....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
If you're shooting the varmints at long range, this idea may not work so well.

But, a cast lead boolit at 2,200 fps, more or less, will usually go through like a fmj, not expanding, but still killing.

And if you do ruin the hide, I can always use a 4" square patch of hide for tyeing my flys. Wink

Regards,

WE

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how about the 257 roberts?

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe your wolves aren't as big or cling to life like ours Big Grin But I'd be using a little more gun. A light caliber might work, if you have time and get the perfect shot, but you're more likely to have to make a hasty shot at that part of the animal, you can see. 22-.250 might have worked on this guy. Big Grin I caught him and two buddies sleeping. Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies all . At the moment I,m using the 223 . But havn,t been sucessful yet ... . I think the 243 will probably be the best all around fox - wolf rifle ....either with 80 gr fmj,s or TSX . ect bullets .......Once I get the drop and drift figured out I will prolly stick with one load ......... Which ever is the most accurate .......??