New
Find
Notify
Tools

#3 coils
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
are they too big for coyotes here in the south? I use 'em for when I am out west,,and don't really want to buy new if I don't need to.I know the dogs here are some smaller,,but enough to need a smaller trap? Confused

NEVER THE LEAST DEGREE OF LIBERTY IN EXCHANGE FOR THE GREATEST DEGREE OF SECURITY

Posts: 141 | Location: LOUISIANA,,for now. | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they'll be fine.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was concerned that there may be too much room to move around,,maybe wearing thru the leg,,as compared to a 1-1/2 say.What do you trap? got coyotes in your area? wave

NEVER THE LEAST DEGREE OF LIBERTY IN EXCHANGE FOR THE GREATEST DEGREE OF SECURITY

Posts: 141 | Location: LOUISIANA,,for now. | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#2's are probably ideal for southern coyotes, but #3's would be better than going to a smaller trap for yotes.

I trap bobcats with #2's and fox with 1.5's, and avoid coyotes whenever I can.

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Panzerschmied:
I was concerned that there may be too much room to move around,,maybe wearing thru the leg,,as compared to a 1-1/2 say.What do you trap? got coyotes in your area? wave

I wouldn't worry too much about the jaws riding too far up the leg of the coyote. The size difference between your southern yotes and the yotes you've already trapped in the west is really negligible. I use 3's, MB 650's, and even 1.75's for the coyotes in my neck of the woods and they all work fine. You asked what critters do I trap? I trap for mink, muskrat, coon, coyote, red fox, beaver, and when I draw permits I'll trap for otter and fisher as well.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do/have you use(d) coni's? I am thinkin' on tryin' 'em in bucket sets,,,ever done it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do/have you use(d) coni's? I am thinkin' on tryin' 'em in bucket sets,,,ever done it?

Yep I use lots of Coni's 160's for coon and 110's for rats and mink. Never used a bucket set but know of people that have success with them. I dont have time nor space to be carrying around a bunch of buckets. I use the 160's in trails as blind sets for coon. I personally love conibearin' coon, they are already dispatched when I get there, and there is no mess.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do 160's get the job done on those big northern coon,,,it's a double spring,correct?Do any snarin'?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave-t:
#2's are probably ideal for southern coyotes, but #3's would be better than going to a smaller trap for yotes.

I trap bobcats with #2's and fox with 1.5's, and avoid coyotes whenever I can.
bobcats paws are bigger than a dogs isn't it?#2s should work on southern dogs,or no?.
THANX DAVE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're talking mature animals, a bobcat will have a bigger foot/forleg than a coyote. Cats will put a lot of torque on a trap, but canines will fight a trap harder and longer, imo.

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do 160's get the job done on those big northern coon,,,it's a double spring,correct?Do any snarin'?

A coon is no match for the 160. From 10 pounders to 35 pounders, they all succumb to the magnificent body grip trap invented by Frank Conibear. Yes the 160 has two springs. My body grip trap of choice is made by Belisle, they are manufactured in Canada. I've tried a little snaring here and there but not nearly enough to be proficient at it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave-t:
If you're talking mature animals, a bobcat will have a bigger foot/forleg than a coyote. Cats will put a lot of torque on a trap, but canines will fight a trap harder and longer, imo.

Dave you are absolutely right about a coyote fighting a trap. They will pump a rebar stake out of the ground. It is good practice to cross stake or use earth anchors ie. Pogo's, Berkshire's and the like for the canines.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
four coiled #3's work well for wolverine as well and i've used them with fine success on red fox...they'd work for coyote if thats what you've got on hand.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
your traps will be just fine on a side note i use conibears alot i have killed a number of yotes with the 330 conibear using bucket and cubby sets but if your really really seriouse on killing yotes then i highly advise you go to a kill snare like the power ram or senneker kill snare they kill very quickly and effeiently i dont mind foothold to a point but there not as effective as seeting up snares on a bait 6 snares per bait 25-30 baits min means im gonna pull in at least 60-80 coyotes/per winter and around 120-180 is trapping in the fall/winter/spring it all about numbers the more baits and snares you put out the more fur you can harvest

becuase of this years mild temps/lack of snow iv only managed to kill 77 so far

i have over 120 power ram snares spent damn near 3000$ on it but it pays for it self in a real hurry if ya know what your doing

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
saw something interesting awhile back.A silent movie from Russia.The main character was a Military guy that carried a model 95 winchester and his buddy in the flic was a trapper using double spring conibears type traps...,looked like 220's...,the flic was from'25