Find
Notify
Tools

$#@*&^! Porkypines!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
OK, waiting for snow here in the Green Mountains. There is a bad case of bark scraping going on and I can't find the pointy rat that's doing the dirty deed.

Where do they hide during the day?

~Ann

Posts: 19171 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
..... I can't find the pointy rat that's doing the dirty deed.

Where do they hide during the day?

Ann,

As slow as the "pointy rats" move it is hard to believe they have the ability to hide, but hide they can, and very well. After working in the woods for over 20 years I have tracked down many porkies and you will have better luck when the snow comes.

You may know this already but they den in trees that are hollow at the bottom and quite large. There will be a large amount of droppings at the entrance of the "hollow". The droppings are unique in that they are cylindrical and about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long. Porky will crawl up inside the hollow and while away.

If you can find the den tree you will have the edge on them. They usually will be out on the sunny days and den on the coldest days. In the summer they will be out all day, every day.

A good old fashioned walk-about on the nice days will often solve your problems. (take the 22, not the dog)

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
If not a den tree ,then they will climb a tall tree and rest in a crotch.easy way to spot them is look for a round ball in the top of a tree.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They eat all kinds of things !! Confused My friend had his new barn chewed ,he liked the chemicals in the wood .They have been known to eat rubber ,anything with salt such as an axe handle .Years ago the 'NYS Conservationist 'magazine had a photo of an engine block chewed by a porkie !!! Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The way My friends and I always hunted them in winter back in Michigan was to walk around the woods and look for their pellets on the snow and look up in the trees for blobs like squirrel nests.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann;Here in Montana I have killed some out of willow trees.They climb the tree get out on a limb,kind of look like a magpie nest.I have driven by them did a double take.But finally figured out they were PQ,S.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Well, I have had no luck, first waiting for snow, then we get it, and there is close to 5 feet of it on the ground now.

The only spoor I see is deer tunnels. It is just too deep and snow shoes are not much help either. I've been cruising the roads hoping to see one hanging out in a tree, no luck yet.

Have not seen even coyote spoor, it's too deep for my lab as well, she will not even try fetching anything I throw out in the powder! Not even a big dog cookie.

~Ann

Posts: 19171 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann:

Like they say: "be careful what you wish for"
hehe, FIVE Feet huh?

Wish you well, would invite you folks out here on the plains where it's bare ground and sunshine. BUT: you'd have to dig out first. Might not be worth the work that would take.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5949 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
actually,the best time to shoot porkies is in the early spring,when the trees first start to bud out.The aspen trees are first to bud out around here,and all the other trees are bare,so you have great visiblity.they will be in the tops of aspen trees eating the fresh new shoots,after a winter of bark .They really stand out.Wait another week and the other trees sprout up,and you cant see them at 50 yds .

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
In a lot of the west they are protected as an emergency food source.

The thought being that you can whack one on the head and throw his ass in the fire.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Porkypines's make nice full size mounts. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JB:
Best time is whenever you see 'em.

450: Bet that would teach the a/ho's to keep their hands off things.

Ann: Hope the snow's melting and muds not too deep, nor rivers too high either.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5949 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From my post above - I talked to my friend and he said he cured the barn eating problem by spraying Chlorox on the barn. That will have to be renewed every two or three months. This will also keep racoons out of the garbage cans !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep a salt lick close to my cabin. The porkies eat anything they can, wood, leather,or anything they can for salt. That won't kill them but it keeps them from destroying your property.

Posts: 560 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ANy underground culverts? IN western MA ever little pipe that goes under the road usually has porkys in it. The droppings will be at the entrances.

Posts: 132 | Location: MA | Registered: 30 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
In a lot of the west they are protected as an emergency food source.

I never heard that before... What state??

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Certainly not here!!!! I had always heard it was in the heavily forested east that they were protected, but I doubt that too, they do too much damage to timber!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are protected here in Idaho.

Posts: 29 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Porky pigs will find any hole they will fit in including the ground... they love the heavy willows and in the winter will seek out marsh areas... they will climb thick willows that are no bigger than a pencil... you can make some decent money by skinning and drying the pelt... quills are a good market...they make execellent 600 yard targets in a quaky tree...

faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more rifles

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are protected here in Idaho.

[

OOPS Roll Eyes

Since when?

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot porkypines on sight. The bigger the gun the better. Put Ive killed dozens with a 22. My 416 does a good job. The last one was with 210 gr hard cast out of my 41 mag.. After chasing it out from the crawl space of the hunting shack.

Kill them all let the porky gods sort the good ones from the bad ones.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Porcipines are protected in Wyoming as well as a emergency source of food.

I always thought it would be neat to have a mounted one.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
As far as I know they are varmints here,we kill them by the dozen at my friends ranch, the kids use base ball bats! I guess i don't know any one that passes up the chance to kill one any time any place.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
photo: Tourism Board
A Coyote. Coyotes and jackrabbits are legally classified as predators along with raccoons, red fox, porcupines and skunks. Under Wyoming law, these animals may be taken year round and no license is required. (from a hunting rules site) r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
Have you ever tried to eat a Porcupine? You have to braise the sucker for 8 to 12 hours before even thinking of roasting it.

Most times I've seen people cut off a small piece, chew on it for 10 minutes, cut off about half of the piece, chew another 10 minutes, cut off about half, chew another 10 minutes, spit it out, and reach for the venison. beer

But the quills are very useful for sewing designs onto your game hides, and the hair, which is not quite a quill yet, are wonderful for fly tyeing. They look like a stripped feather, but are much more durable. Got to be careful removing the hairs, though, as the quills are right there! Cool

Regards,

WE

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote