New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nutria Hunts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone know of anybody providing outfitter services for nutria hunting in Louisiana?

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear God, don't let the Texas outfitters find out they can charge for this too!

I can see it now Records of Exotics with a catagory for Nutria Rats.

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mmmm ... tasty

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't want to eat them, just shoot 'em!

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wwjmbd
posted Hide Post
I was on a bayue tour a few years ago and the guide had said they there was a bounty on them and if he had at least 6 passengers (hunters) come at once he would take them out shooting nutria for $20 each as long as he could collect the bountys of all the nutria shot (I think they have to take the tails in to get paid). He claimed they were good eating if you could get past the look of them, and the fur could be harvested as well.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I'd bet that just about any duck guide out there would happily take a couple hundred bucks to ride you around between seasons to kill some marsh rats. The bounty thing depends on time and place. As this has been a particularly dry year in Louisiana, there are no bounties out there, that I know of, as the nutria and beaver damming up water is keeping farmers in business this year. During a wet year, however, the little rats and their dams will be flooding land that should be in production, and bounties will start being offered. Good luck.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a boat and a rifle you probably dont need a guide. Try to come after the louisiana duck season when the grass is still dead, find yourself a big section of open marsh and get after it. The state pays a 5 dollar bounty on the tails during the open season ussally in dec and jan. Land owners get the bounty all year long. Best places bettween houma and morgan city or in the achafalay basin

Posts: 161 | Location: houma louisiana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gotta be good eating! Muskrat are good. And nutria, like muskrat, are vegetarians. Anyone try them???

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a show on TV about NOPD SWAT jack-lighting them at night for target practice!

A nation with dogs and whiskey beats Nazis. A nation with cats and spritzers is asking to be shoved around.

Posts: 85 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You just ride around in a boat in the marsh & shoot them. Big rats are all they are. Makes great aligator bait. Big Grin Then you shoot them too! Big Grin Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post

these are pretty big rats, are they hard to get at ?

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
A tame one would be a cool pet and great for terrorizing my local cats! dancing

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote