Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with Porkies
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted
I trapped a lot when I was younger and did pretty well, and still have all my traps. But this problem has me scratching my head a little.

My brother and I built a pretty nice log cabin/home years ago and it seems we have one porky that has taken a liking to the stain that we used to protect the logs. It comes in and chews the stain of the first log all the way around the cabin. Both my brother and I are some distance from the cabin so catching it in the act is pretty hard. The cabin is used only once a month or so.

So I was thinking of setting some traps for it, but we can't check the traps every day so leg holds are out.

I was thinking of building some box traps using the 220 conibear.

The brother wants to use some of the stain that the porky likes so much for bait, but I am not sure what to use?

Any thoughts from you guys on these ideas?

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
A great thing to try for just about every critter out there is peanut butter!!!!!!
If I was you, and if its legal, use the biggest conibear you can get(#330Mag).
Now there are other things you can try out. Hang out for a weekend and do the deer tree ambush, I mean stand thing.
Look up your laws and see if trip guns are legal. I dont like this old time trapping idea but it works. You set up a trip wire hooked to a gun of some type.
You can try a pitfall.
These are just ideas to help.
You can get some potatoes(anything will work) and dig a hold toss them in and place a conibear in front.
If legal you can even poison them.
Myself I prefer to just hang out @ the cabin with a rifle and and tag them when they come out.
Do you have a friend who traps or hunts? I know many people would do such a job free.

Oh you can use cage traps too if you can find one big enough. Your call and these are just options and ideas. I wouldn't personally do all of them but putting them out there.
I do ADC work and get some odd ball calls.
One last thing, are you sure there is only one? Do you know the size? Place some trail camera's out there and see what you get.

I have to go get a chicken that was let loose in the park up the road tomorrow. See odd! flame
BBQ chicken but she wants to keep her.
You can email me also and post photos of the damage and maybe we can help with more ideas.
James
sharpscarbine@gmail.com

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,Keep a salt lick near your cabin. Those pesky porkies will leave your cabin alone if you keep salt nearby.They are contsantly after salt.

Posts: 557 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Jim, he has a point! Those things last for ever! Make sure you get one made for live stock. The ones we used to buy for our horses would last a long time even out in the weather! I would put a trail cam on it and see what else shows up to it.
Just dont shoot your deer over it if there are baiting laws.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
The salt lick idea is cool. I have to agree that is likely the reason they are going after the stain.

We will put out a salt block, and I am going to try a box trap with a Conibear and peanut butter.

Thanks guys.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've tried peanut butter and it does work good, but the best bait that I've ever found is marshmellows. Just about every critter out there loves em and they're quick and easy to use.

Posts: 234 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikey49009:
I've tried peanut butter and it does work good, but the best bait that I've ever found is marshmellows. Just about every critter out there loves em and they're quick and easy to use.

I've heard of using them for coons and maybe others but hell I'll have to try that this trapping season.
Jim, let us know how thing go. Take photos!

NRA LIFE MEMBER