New
Find
Notify
Tools

here we go
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good idea for a forum. There are lots of us who used to trap and others who still do. I can just imagine the beaver jokes that are going to fly around in here!!

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Should be great fun Chef and most likely educational for a lot of folks who've never trapped.

I have trapped since I was 7 years old and started taking fur (coyotes, gray fox, bobcats) with a rifle when I was 10.

Which I'm still doing, albeit with equipment changes Big Grin

I run into a lot of guys who trapped when they were young but fell away from it when fur prices were down. And to a man every one of em' remembers it as some of the best times in life.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well i started with hunting, but got very fast infected with the trapping virus!!
Once you have made your first catch you are sold!

I think this forum was missing on the AR forum!

Posts: 68 | Location: Holland(Netherlands) | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember back in the late 60s early 70s getting sometimes $75.00 for a trapped red fox pelt if the color was good and if it was prime. I don't think you can get $20 for them these days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also remember a beaver being 100 bucks or more. A fellow could make some real money at one time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is some benefit to low prices if you have a wife or girlfriend as you can have a coat made with the pelts. A few years ago I have a lovely beaver coat made for the Mrs. by USA FOXX in Duluth Minnesota. they did a fantastic job and the cost was reasonable.