Find
Notify
Tools

Repairing fur....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted
I have a badger to tan and I would like to sew the bullet hole shut. What should I use and should I sew the hole shut before or after I tan the hide? I was thinking of using sinew.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bill, sew it with dental floss, it's nylon thread,befor you tan. Use a curved glovers needle, if you can find one it makes the job easier.
Nick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should be able to find the needles and thread at a vet, or drugstore too.

Hobby shops usually have a variety of needles. many time's in a variety pack and they don't cost much.

Main thing is make as neat a repair as possible. Depending on the size of the hole. The exit hole's can be nasty and hard to sew up. Hope that's not your case. IF it is, find a woman that sews and see if she'll help you out. Many won't want to be around a fresh skin though. Do you know a vetinairian?

Take a rag and make a hole in it as near like what you're looking at in the hide and practice on it first, sometime's that helps.

Good luck,

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5947 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glovers needles do go therough the skin a lot easier than round needles. Glovers needles are three sided with sharp sides. The downside is they cut through the hide and the holes they make are prone to tearing because the fibers have been cut rather than pushed aside. A small regular needle is the trick, along with a good thimble and some pliers to pull it through, also expect to break some needles.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have sewed up a lot of fur with fishing line.

Posts: 118 | Location: Price Utah | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Check with the tannery first. Depending on how they process the fur, it may rip the stitching out.

Dental floss is my preference but you will want to use the waxed variety. If you are going to use fishing line then use 4lb monofilament.

Van Dykes taxidermy supply can set you up with the three sided cutting needles. I prefer the J shaped over the 3/8 curved.

Good luck!