New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm Bullet that won't exit
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone know of a 6mm bullet that won’t exit on Coyotes or Bobcats even at close range? I use the 30 grain Berger in my 220 swift and 223 and they will not exit. I would like to find one in a 6mm and they would be shot out of a 6mmbr and a 6mm-284. I was looking at the 6mm 55gr Ballistics tips any thoughts?

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've tried some 65 grain V-Max Hornady .224 bullets out of my fast twist Colt HBAR and it didn't kill a coyote very well. He went over 3/4 mile. No exit wound. Had a time even finding the entrance hole. Shot behind the should. I think it blew up in his lungs as all the blood was coming from his nose. I then lined up some milk jugs full of water. Shot them and the bullet never even made it through the first jug. I came to the conclusion they may be good for praire dogs or something small as they are TOO explosive for me. So with that said you may try the V-Max 58 grain 6mm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My thought would be to try some of the 6mm match bullets from makers like Burger, Barts or the like. Very accurate but made for paper and not live animals.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
62 grain barnes varmint grenade

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you I will give those a try.

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Hornady 58 grain VMax out of my .243 at 3850 fps. Haven't had an exit yet. I'm going tomorrow morning and I'm handing that rifle to my pardner to use.

When I used Nosler BT's on occassion I'd pick up the solid base on the far side of the critter on the snow and once on bare dirt. No big exit hole, but that solid based tends to pass through.

"It ain't lion hunting unless you get stitches." - John in WYO

"It became aquatic, briefly." Ann ~ Aspen Hill Adventures

The bear has to touch you to hurt you. Don’t let the bear touch you.

Posts: 239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i dont mind exits but only when using tuffer bullets on coyotes so i end up with two small holes i shoot alot of coyotes with the barnes spitzer soilids or fmj's to dispatch them in traps or just hunting themnever had a single 1 get away

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
My thought would be to try some of the 6mm match bullets from makers like Burger, Barts or the like. Very accurate but made for paper and not live animals.

I used to think the same thing until I started looking deeper. The Berger hunting bullets are designed with thinner jackets that the target bullets so the will come apart easier. It seems target bullets a thick to resist distortion during firing.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the guys I know use a Speer 70gr TNT.

It works most of the time on Coyotes.

Hal

Posts: 160 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wistrapper:
62 grain barnes varmint grenade

+1 on this

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nosler made something they marketed as SHOTS bullets; they were made apparently for Australia, for controlling kangaroo populations. I believe they are still available in secondary markets. Thin jackets and 55 grains.... But you would have to try them out.

I am working on building a 6 X 45 and intend to use the bullet on prairie dogs, but we am not there just yet on the rifle...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote