Find
Notify
Tools

Got started
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted
I finally made a couple of sets today. Deer season is over and I had a small job to do. Both with #4 long springs could catch anything in them, foxes, coyotes or Bobcats..skunks too!! I'll set more over the next couple of days.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get anything yet?

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I missed a coyote and caught a big skunk this morning shot it with the 410 and it never pee'd I 'll take it out in the morning should be froze stiff.. We got a little smow last night. I'm moving some sets to a ranch next week, it has just been too busy here to get more sets made.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elkman

You shouldnt have shot that skunk. I used to skin them out as fur buyers will give you a few bucks for them (gas money to make more sets). And if you do it right you can kill the skunk without them spraying and you can then SAVE (yes I said SAVE) the skunk essence. People pay pretty good money for that stuff (more gas money to pay for more sets).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't keep my skunks, but the last NAFA auctions had them up around $10 each.

Posts: 224 | Location: North Platte, Nebraska | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know about the essence, I had a friend that would use a big syringe to suck it out of road kill. Myself however want nothing to do with skunks, if they were worth $50.00 I would not skin them or take the essence, NFW will I handle one I do have a life and I don't need to smell like a skunk!!! I caught 5 in 3 days a couple of years ago by the time I was done my friends wouldn't let me in their house!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Skunks are fun to catch, they all seem different, how much black or white they have. If it didn't spray, you'd be okay skinning it. Wear rubber gloves, you'd be safe.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I have a taxidermist friend that was going to mount one for the forest service. He froze it till he was ready to skin it.. It thawed out and he was on a bench out side just getting going when he nicked something with the knife and ended up getting squirted in the face. He finished and did mount it but he swore he would no do another even for $1000.00!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
It don't sound like you're going to be talked into skinning any skunks any time soon, LOL. Good luck with the other critters.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I have never been THAT drunk!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELKMAN2:
Yeah, I know about the essence, I had a friend that would use a big syringe to suck it out of road kill. Myself however want nothing to do with skunks, if they were worth $50.00 I would not skin them or take the essence, NFW will I handle one I do have a life and I don't need to smell like a skunk!!! I caught 5 in 3 days a couple of years ago by the time I was done my friends wouldn't let me in their house!!

I know what you mean. My mother, rest her soul, used to yell quite a bit at me when I would come into the house for dinner after having skinned a few skunks!. I myself don't mind the smell of them at all. Just takes some getting used to.

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post

I got this one this morning, in a blizzard. Nice female good spots. Should be in the $300.00 area. Paid for the new traps the first day!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Really nice CATch! Thanks for postin the pictures. Looks like a big one What did you use for bait?

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Half a Jack Rabbit buried in a clump of sage brush. I put some feline gland lure on the brush. This was the same set I caught the skunk in..We have some winter weather and I expect the trapping to pick up

one of us
posted Hide Post
Imagine the snow helps to see where their tracks and know where to set. I haven't seen anymore tracks here, but half the time the ground is frozen the other half they're washed out by rain. Snow forecast for Monday.

I have two sets with a half of muskrat in each one but they weren't touchd yesterday. Ordered bobcat lure but it didn't get here yet.

Well, i said that looked like a big one, but really, i've never seen a bobcat dead or alive, so i wouldn't know, but the paws look huge. It looks good, that's for sure. Good luck and i hope you get more.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
They get bigger but it is a pretty good cat, good color and lots od spots. I called a fur buyer yesterday he told me cats have been up to $500, the other guy I met last week said $325 tops, guess I'll deal with the new guy. He also said coyotes were running higher $50 for a light colored full furred one.