New
Find
Notify
Tools

Go with Natural
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just thought I would share a little information on what I have learned about lure and bait since I have been reading alot about it In various posts.
I use natural baits and lures. When I was younger I used alot of the store bought products that claimed improved catches. O' I tried them all. It was a waste of my money.Sure I cought fur with them. But I have caught just as much and even more fur with a field mouse in a dirthole set as I have spending my money on glass bottles Labled with some fancey name.
I learned over time the best baits for coyotes were ones that they were used to already. Like Mice. There is no doubt that is one of their favorite. Why dont you think about it. If you liked "Tin Roof Sundae" ice cream , and have liked it for years wouldn't you prefer it over a flavor you were unsure of?
Using natural lures and baits also cuts down on the suspicion factor. What I am talking about is when that coyote first approches your set, he is looking for a not only a meal but he is also watching out for his hide. You want the set to be as natural as possible. Natural. That is what will make him step on your trap pan.
This method of going natural has worked for me on everything from Coyotes to coon.
Coyotes are extremly smart animals. They have magnificiant olfactory sences, and can smell damn near anything. And I have learned not to underestimate their sences.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Max you make some good points but most "store bought" lures are basicly curiousity attractants. Sure they're made with stuff yotes & fox, etc. like and eat but they also have "other" ingredients shown to grab a critter's attention. I'm not saying one's better than the other, by all means the BEST is what works for you personally. Another major factor in bottled lures though is the convenience factor. With them, vacation or before work trappers don't have to invest a lot of time collecting and storing natural baits. Just my two cents! ...or is it scents? Wink

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put two live cage traps out and i only put some fish oil on a cotton ball and a bit of lure. It's an experiment to see if it catches anything (like a raccoon) on scent alone.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Quote from Plinker603

I put two live cage traps out and i only put some fish oil on a cotton ball and a bit of lure. It's an experiment to see if it catches anything (like a raccoon) on scent alone.

Plinker, a coon uses it nose to find food. So yes your scent will work. It will work considering you have placed your traps in a good location. Which is key. I dont know how cold it is there in WV, but catching coon in january by the numbers might be a little hard.
Good luck, I hope you catch a bunch.