Find
Notify
Tools

Conibears
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I put three of these together yesterday with some old broken buckets. I used some old snaring cable to attach unit to a tree to prevent losing it. Did not take long to put together and I deployed them before dark.

I have three 160's as well but am waiting to find some of the square pails for them.

An interesting article on these traps.

Bodygrip traps

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I have been using the plastic 5 gallon pails for many years and they work really well. Only down side to them is in really cold weather they get quite brittle and will break. I have had more than a few blow apart into chunks when a lynx or wolverine got caught in them and the springing of the trap blew the bucket apart...but I am talking -30 and colder.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are junk buckets, have cracked bottoms or holes drilled from other failed projects. If they break I wont care. Just hoping for a little success.

I'd really prefer to build wood box holders but not going to buy lumber at today's prices. No treated plywood laying around the farm right now either.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting Ann. The name “coniber” takes me back to a time when I was 13 or 14 years old trapping muskrats around town. Great times that will not be lived again!

Keep us updated on your successes Ann!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
Thanks for posting Ann. The name “coniber” takes me back to a time when I was 13 or 14 years old trapping muskrats around town. Great times that will not be lived again!

Keep us updated on your successes Ann!

It's a shame that trapping and fur has become unappreciated. 100% renewable resource plus controlling predators helps the other wildlife out there. I do it for that plus the main reason is these things always want my poultry and their numbers seem endless.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, my grandfather helped feed his family through trapping, during the Depression.
It is an amazing outdoor activity

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on what you are after, my advice is to spread your trigger wires apart somewhat. Some animals will not touch them if there is ample room to avoid them.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
Depending on what you are after, my advice is to spread your trigger wires apart somewhat. Some animals will not touch them if there is ample room to avoid them.

Thank you, I shall do so.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what are you using for bait and lure?

KJK

Posts: 677 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have responded well to cat food for the DP traps so that for now. I have also tossed in several persimmons to each bucket.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If its not too cold cut apples work well as bait for racoons. so does any kind of fish smell

KJK

Posts: 677 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, apples are insanely expensive right now and they don't grow well in the Ozarks due to disease from all the junipers here. I have some mini marshmallows to try too.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's cool that you're a fellow trapper, Ann. We agree on trapping politics, I suspect. I ran a short trapline here in AK for about ten years, until health issues put me out of business. My brother still runs a seventy mile trapline in the bush.

No raccoons up here, but I caught mink and marten in bucket sets like yours. I found the plastic got brittle at around minus twenty or so.

One thing though: unless you're actually using Conibear brand traps, it's better to call them "bodygrip" traps, since "Conibear" is a trademark, a property right belonging to Frank Conibear's heirs or successors.

Posts: 6094 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RolandtheHeadless:
It's cool that you're a fellow trapper, Ann. We agree on trapping politics, I suspect. I ran a short trapline here in AK for about ten years, until health issues put me out of business. My brother still runs a seventy mile trapline in the bush.

No raccoons up here, but I caught mink and marten in bucket sets like yours. I found the plastic got brittle at around minus twenty or so.

One thing though: unless you're actually using Conibear brand traps, it's better to call them "bodygrip" traps, since "Conibear" is a trademark, a property right belonging to Frank Conibear's heirs or successors.

I agree. That is why I posted the link above. Tells his story. I had no idea how the traps got their name and thought the article was interesting. Makes you wonder the man's thought process on how he developed these things.

My area does not get so cold as where you are but my ultimate goal is to make wood boxes for these someday. For now the old buckets laying around here will do.

There had been some rain so yesterday I re-baited using chicken heads and bacon grease. The weather is getting cold now and the coon movement tends to be less but possums are active over the winter. I also have some 160's to work with.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Success. That's a pretty big possum. Looks like he really couldn't even move once the trap deployed. Chicken head for bait worked well.

I have a neighbor who wants all of my trap kills for food. I had two possums today for her.

~Ann