New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think I'll need a new pair of waders and I'm not too happy with neoprene's. Has anyone tried the Lacrosse waders? Call me old fashioned, but from 1985 to 2003 I bought 2 pair of Redball insulated waders. I wore these fishing, duck hunting and everyday from November 15th to March 15th trapping. 2 pairs of $60.00 waders with nary a leak. Now I pay $199.00 to $250.00 a pair about every year, that develop multiple leaks in no time, plus they are always damp or wet when used everyday. The Lacrosse wader looks like the old style that you can crawl under, over, and through a briar patch next to the river, day after day. Anyone have a review or experience with these waders? Thanks

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no new experience with the newer Lacrosse Waders. Like you, I really am not a fan of Neoprenes for a lot of things. When you're trapping from a vehicle, you either have to have a mess in the truck or struggle getting them on and off. Besides, they make me crawly because they have me all wrapped up. I have a great set that have lasted for years, mostly because I don't wear them much. On the other hand, I have a pair of Lacrosse hip boots that are nearly twenty years old. They've got gobs of shoe goo and a couple old fashioned inner tube patches on them from old barbed wire that I didn't see. My last pair of camo chest highs fell apart after two years, but they weren't Lacrosse. I doubt the new ones are as good, just because companies are always trying to improve profits at the cost of quality. Once I get moved and see if I can find trapping and duck hunting in SE Virginia, I'll probably get a set of old jump in jump out Lacrosse Waders. They were the best in my opinion. I wore several pairs of Lacrosse's out when I was working in the water on a daily basis in the eighties and nineties. I usually got four or five years out of a pair back then.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Black Fly, I'm sure there are many others who would prefer the old loose, heavy duty waders. I have a pair of goretex stockings for trout, but I think the sight of a briar patch would cause them to leak and they were $300.00. It would be like wearing a tux to skin beaver. With the money I've spent on crappy, expensive neoprene's, I think I'll try the Lacrosse waders. Let you know how they stand up to the daily wear of the last 3 months of trapping. Or sooner.

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its good to hear of guys still catching fur in the Garden State, especially with all the regulations over the years. I bought my first p/u truck, a beater, back in the 1970's, with money from muskrats trapped in Somerset County.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a pair of Goretex waders and a pair of boots from Cabelas, I switched this year and wore them all day for a week for Fly fishing in Alaska this summer. Used them on my Muskox hunt in Cambridge Bay this fall also. They sure are better then my old neoprene any day.

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Spooksar, but my gore-tex are for trout and salmon only. If the green vines with 1/2" spikes on them will destroy a pair of Cabelas best, brush-busting upland pants in 45 minutes, the Gore-Tex wouldn't stand a chance.

Right now the cheap wal-mart waders (with LL Bean brush chaps) have endured about 10 days with minimal leaks. Waiting on Lacrosse rubber waders yet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Also, it's so nice to put on dry waders everyday. It takes 2 days and rope to a load bearing beam to hold the neoprenes on the wader dryer. Cheap wal marts dry in 6 hours.