New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY Skunk Dispatch Pole
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Thought there might be some interest in this. Used for dispatching skunks like the animal control people do without getting sprayed. Shown is a regular vets needle of the type used in the pole. You see it in the end of the PVC pipe and the head ground off and a screw attached. The white pole slides back inside the other for safety purposes and can be extended and held in place either in or out with a bolt drilled through both pipes and a wingnut which isn't shown. Keep the needle cover on till ready to use! PM me if you want to know where to get the injection fluid.

Also shown is the bottle of skunk essence i'm collecting and also the lure which the little white jar mixed with vaseline so it will stay put on a branch or etc and not be water soluble. The scent glands are easy to skin around. Skin lightly around the anus, the scent glands are on top of the opening toward the tail. They can be almost walnut size. With normal care, you won't cut into them. You extract it with a needle and put it into the bottle.

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you use in the syringe?

thanks

One of Us
Picture of wildpork
posted Hide Post
Thats not legal in all states.

Posts: 106 | Location: the great northeast | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stuff we use is a class 2 federally controlled substance. To prescribe legally requires triplicate forms and is a pain. If you have something effective that is not controlled, I would love to know. T-61 was such a product but has been discontinued. If you are using the C-2 stuff, just be careful and don't advertise. Unless the paperwork is clear, it could cause a lot of hassle if the wrong individual found out.

MFH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, i really didn't want to disclose what i use but i recently saw it posted on another site about using acetone, so i guess it's fairly common knowledge. I would encourage anyone to use extreme care... ya got a needle stuck on the end of a contraption, you're nervous anyway like you're playing with a loaded gun. Wouldn't want to maybe get careless and lean the pole against something and someone run into it. Only reason i even resorted to this measure is that the animal control system we have around here, you're on your own with the skunks or anything else that is causing a problem.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

posted Hide Post
PLINKER:
WROTE THIS UP YESTERDAY, BUT THE "GREMLINS" GOT IT! IN THE LATE 70'S THERE WAS AN OUTFIT OUT OF WIS. CALLED "SKUNKS UNLIMITED", THEY SOLD A SKUNK KIT WITH SYRINGES, POLEBRACKET, AND DISPATCH FLUID. I BELIEVE THE CHEM. WAS MEK (METHYL ETHYL KETONE) BAD FLAMMABLE BUT IT KILLED SKUNKS LIKE LIGHTNING. I BELIEVE IT'S A SOLVENT USED TO CLEAN ELECTRONIC GEAR.
TO STORE YOUR ESSENCE YOU MIGHT TRY TO GET SOME EMPTY INJECTABLE MEDACATION BOTTLES FROM A VET OR STOCK FARMER, THE FLUID GOES FROM SYRINGE DIRECTLY THRU THE RUBBER TOP OF THE BOTTLE, VERY SPILL PROOF.

YOUR WHITE POSSUM: OLDER BIGGER POSSUMS TEND TO GET WHITER AS THEIR FUR PRIMES MORE, MAKE A PRETTY PELT.

KEEP THE IRON IN THE GROUND!!!!NICK

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information about the skunk dispatch kit. The Acetone works within 30-45 seconds, i and doesn't appear to cause pain. A rubber topped bottle would be nice

The white possum measured out to 29 1/2 inches in length.

Plinker

aim small, hit small