Find
Notify
Tools

What traps?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted
What trap models and brands would you buy for the following species?

Wolf

Wolverine

Lynx

Bobcat

Badger

Coyote

Beaver

Marten

Fox

Any cross over would be much appreciated.

If you like a conibear, long spring, or coil spring for each species please let me know.

Most of my trapping experience is from beaver and rats in Montana when I was in high school. I have caught a few foxes in live traps here in Australia, but I don't have a place to trap anymore so that's over.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of choices that will do fine but I will just post what I consider the best of the best for the species that I have experience with.

Coyote: J.C. Conner "Jake Trap" or Sterling MJ-600. Should be fine for lynx, bobcat, badger as well.

Beaver: Foothold: CDR 7.5 first choice, second choice either MB 750 or TS-85
Bodygrip: Belisle 330

Fox: lots of good choices, go with a # 1 3/4 four coiled trap if in areas with coyotes. In fact just get the good coyote traps listed above and you will be good to go.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Thanks a ton.

Trying to save shipping before I move north of 60 again.

Shipping to APO is cheaper than shipping to Alaska.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Depending on how specific you want to get you could do well to use #2 double coils. I used Northwoods and Victors, mostly Northwoods and trapped yotes, bobcat, beaver, badger. We also used 220 conibear for beaver. Marten & fox weren't prevelant where I was trapping so don't have much to say about them.

We weren't trapping wolves though. Thier feet are bigger so I'd lean toward 4's if pursuing them specifically.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Northwoods are good traps but are no longer made so you would have to find some used ones in good condition. 220's are too small for beaver in my opinion. 280's are good for otter and beaver but 330's are what you want. You can catch some in 220s but they are not the best choice. Getting a 60-70 pounder to try and squeeze through a seven inch square just aint natural Big Grin

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote