Find
Notify
Tools

trapping rabbits
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted
Kind of funny question to ask, but does anyone have any tips on trapping rabbits? If I can't shoot them in the backyard (.22 CCI longs) I like to try and trap them, but haven't found any bait that consistently works. Any help?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have rabbits in our back yard. Like all rabbits they are creatures of habit, find out where they have their "runs" snow helps for that. In our yard they always come in under the back fence in the same location. Put your snares or traps on the run. I feed them carrots all winter long...I don't trap them though they are fun to watch.

the chef

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
It is easier to snare them. I use picture hanging wire, just make a noose and hang it where the go through any openings in the plants or fences. Anyplace they want to go consistantily.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Some of the beagle clubs here in NY are allowed to trap rabbits with wooden box traps open on one end. They use assorted baits - lettuce is one bait I've seen.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote from Evan K

Kind of funny question to ask, but does anyone have any tips on trapping rabbits? If I can't shoot them in the backyard (.22 CCI longs) I like to try and trap them, but haven't found any bait that consistently works. Any help?

Havent you ever watched Bugs Bunny, Try a Carrot!

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Try this - from the "Havahart" website:

Rabbit Traps

Which rabbit trap should I use?
The HAVAHART® brand manufactures two styles of traps; one door and two doors. Both styles work equally well and it is truly a matter of preference. The two door style was created with the idea that an animal will not enter a trap if they can not see through to the other side. This is not true as we trap just as many animals in our one door Pro models.

What bait should I use for rabbits?
Fresh vegetables, such as brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, lettuce, or apples. In the wintertime, bread is a good bait, as is red fox urine. Spraying the inside of the trap with apple cider is also effective

Where should I place the trap?
Place the trap near areas thick with brush or locations that damage has occurred. Check the trap often and if in agreement with local and state laws, release the animal in a suitable habitat at least 5 miles away. Read more

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELKMAN2:
It is easier to snare them. I use picture hanging wire, just make a noose and hang it where the go through any openings in the plants or fences. Anyplace they want to go consistantily.

Hey Elkman, I don't recall seeing anyplace in the regs where it is legal to snare rabbits in Wyoming??

MG

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
It is also helpful to place some 1x4's or 1x6's in a V shape leading to the mouth of the trap. The boards will help guide the rabbits to the mouth of the trap. I used to do this method frequently back when I was trapping problem possums and armadillos and found it pretty helpful.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Madgoat:
quote:
Originally posted by ELKMAN2:

Hey Elkman, I don't recall seeing anyplace in the regs where it is legal to snare rabbits in Wyoming??

MG
Actually I snared them when I lived in N.MN. However jack rabbits are unprotected and I beleive they can be basically killed by any method. Foxes, coons, cats, coyotes, beavers etc. all can be snared, Cottontail's are a game animal..I don't know and frankly don't care, I will shoot them with the 22 if needed. But the snares did work real good on bunnies and snoe shoes, I ate them one whole winter when first married.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Foxes, coons, cats, coyotes, beavers etc. all can be snared, Cottontail's are a game animal..I don't know and frankly don't care, I will shoot them with the 22 if needed.

You need a furbearers license to take beaver in Wyoming, but since you really don't follow wildlife laws anyhow, who gives a shit right? bull

MG

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't know what you are talking about! I follow the laws as close as I can..Did I say I did not have a a fur bearers lic??? To trap the fur I do I must have one. Cottontails need a small game lic,did I say I didn't have one??? Come one man, get away from this thing a little!!!! The GW and I are friends and I certainly don't want to put him in a" uncomfortable position"..I mean WTF??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Evan, sorry to see you got flamed by the legal beagles on the forum supposing to put you in the wrong, but you mentioned you can't shoot them in your backyard with CCI longs.
Well then why not get some quiet subsonic ammo or better yet CCI CB longs or longZ's if you are really worried about noise and can shoot from close ranges?

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote