New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drying up the moisture?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This might be better off in a different forum, but I think it fits here and if anyone will know, it's you guys.

I took a pretty decent turkey this year, but really don't want another "mount" of any kind. I saved the wings, fan, and beard (they're in the freezer). I'm going to add the beard to an existing display I have.

I'd like to take the fan and wings and hang them in the barn. Not on a plaque or anything, just tack em up on the wall. I'm thinking if I pick out all the flesh I can, pin them down in the open position on a piece of plywood, then cover the nasty bitz with some sort of dessicant for a week or so. I'm thinking that they might dry in that position and last a good amount of time.

What do you guys think? What's the magic chemical to dry up the blood and fat?

Posts: 173 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Borax, pure borax is available from taxidermy supply houses. I have used borax laundry detergent and it dries them up nicely. I have also spread tails and just let them dry and not had any trouble either

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Borax. Perfect. I have 20 mule team borax on hand. This is going to be easier than I thaught.

Thanks!

Posts: 173 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the borax, spread the tails, and put a bag of shot or a sandbag on them for a few days so the tail would stay spread. I would still have the tail if it weren't for all my moving around and such. Good luck, Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELKMAN2:
Borax, pure borax is available from taxidermy supply houses. I have used borax laundry detergent and it dries them up nicely. I have also spread tails and just let them dry and not had any trouble either

Yep, good advice. Back when I did a little bird taxidermy Borax was the main ingredient. I still have birds on the wall that are over 10 years old and look as good now as when they were done.

Posts: 322 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents.

I'll let ya know how it turns out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Salt will work too. Whether as good as borax I can't say. IT also makes the moisture run out of it. So needs to be tilted so it can drain and not ruin the feathers.

Good luck,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5949 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Borax will insect proof it also.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote