THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FUR HUNTING AND TRAPPING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Fur Hunting And Trapping    How does the 17 HMR work on coyotes ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How does the 17 HMR work on coyotes ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
.......Hi ,, where I,m located at this year there are lots of coyotes .. Will the 17 HMR work on them at 100 yrds or less ??? Thanks ... Gumboot

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Yes, but you had better be close. About two years ago while pheasant/quail hunting my buddy and I came upon one while moving locations. He shot it at around 50-60 yards. The yote did the typical spinning around biting at it's side (lung shot) while running about 40 yards before going down. Don't know about a head shot though?

Good luck!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I shot one behind the shoulder at about 125 yards. He went straight down. I wouldn't hesitate a shot out to 200 yards with a good rest.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I've used the HMR quite a bit and must say that it is, at best, marginal for coyotes. If you must use one, keep the range to 50-60 yards and use the Hornady 20 grain XTP.

Even on 'possums and 'coons, the .17 HMR is what I consider marginal. With solid chest hits, many would run at the shot with no indication of being hit. Granted, they piled up in a few seconds, but an animal can cover lots of ground in that amount of time.

As to 200 yards as MS Hitman mentioned, the HMR is nearly down to pellet gun energy at that range (app. 70 ft./lbs.), and the 17 grain V-Max WILL NOT expand at that distance. In fact, it will only penetrate one side of an empty 24 ounce peach can at that range.

If you want to shoot that far, please move up to a centerfire. Or if you are relegated to rimfire only, the .22 Magnum, while not the best for 'yotes, is still much more authoritative than the HMR. I've used it for years in areas where the shots will never exceed 70-80 yards, and for that purpose, the .22 Magnum puts coyotes and 'cats down with relative ease.

The best ammo choices here include the newer CCI 40 grain Gold Dot HP, the WW 34 grain JHP and the Remington 33 grain V-Max loading. But even the plain Jane, 40 grain JHP of yesteryear will suffice...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have killed 7 coyotes with the 17HMR. All using the XTP bullet. Farthest was a large trap marked male at 160yds. You will get lots of runners so you better use dogs or get good at trailing them up.

Killng coyote with the 17HMR can sure be done...but I think it's marginal AT BEST.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have experience with the 17 HMR on coyote, raccoon, squirrel, rabbit, starlings and crow.
Here's my advice:
Coyote - limit shots to 75 yards with 20 gr
bullets.
Coons - limit shots to 50 yards with 20 gr
bullets.
Squirrels - take head shots only if you
are interested in the meat.
Head shots good to 100 yds.
Rabbits - Same as squirrels.
Crows - limit shots to 100 yards for clean
kills.
Starlings - I have made kills beyond 150
yards but expansion is marginal

My longset shot was 210 yards on a starling but it appeared that there was no expansion at all.
My presference beyond starlins is the 22 mag.
I kill coyotes routinely with the 22 mag at 50
to 125 yards with various ammo cleanly and humanely. I can't say that about the 17 HMR whick is why I use it only on head shooting squirrel, plinking (accurate but expensive), and feral birds. This is just my 2 cents. Good shooting!

God, guns, & guts made us free. Let's keep all three!

Posts: 169 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.Man I really appreciate all the replies....Yesterday morning I killed a fox @ about 35 yrds with my 9.3 x 64 Brenneke..250 gr TSX @ 2725 fps mv ...It was a bit much ,, but a very decisive kill.Most of the pelt is salvageable and all of the tail ...I think I,m going to go with a 223 or a 243 ... Both are common and affordable ... I don,t sell the fur so if its a little messed up thats not to bad .....To me , not killing a predator when the opportunity presents it self is a waste of good prey species game , that I could be shootin and eating.....A month or so ago I killed a coyote with my 416 Rem mag ..I would have shot it in the head but I was in a hurry ...A very decisive kill also I must say.... As I will be hunting in lots of different areas and environs , the range will go from 20 yrds or closer to possibly 400 yrds ....which would give the 243 the nod......Wolf are targets of opportunity and in some places they get up to 200 lbs and more so the 243 will be best for them also .. Thanks again .......Gumboot

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the spread by Del Rio where on of my friends ranch hands they have 5 coyote rifles at the moment.
2 x .17 Remington centerfire
2 x .17 HMR
1 x .22 Mag

They are popular in that order of usage when people are grabbing rifles to take out.

Flatter shooting of the HMR makes it more popular than the .22 Mag.

Just empirical South Texas ranch hand experience. Your mileage may vary.

Most popular is the .17Rem with 25 grainers.

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
...I know a rew guys who use the 17 rem for all kinds of stuff , But i,m concerned about how finiky they are ?? Do the rifles need to be babied much .....I have never shot one ..But I do think one in a heavey barreled Remington with one of those chicken scratching fiberglass stocks would be alot of fun ...?? How accurate do the 17,s tend to be and how flat shooting ??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
...I know a rew guys who use the 17 rem for all kinds of stuff , But i,m concerned about how finiky they are ?? Do the rifles need to be babied much .....I have never shot one ..But I do think one in a heavey barreled Remington with one of those chicken scratching fiberglass stocks would be alot of fun ...?? How accurate do the 17,s tend to be and how flat shooting ??

This article covers it about as well as anything you might read. Caveat, I agree with him so I'm biased.

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few yrs ago I hunted with a couple guys that swore 17 Rem's were the majic potion on coyotes. I saw quite a few drop at the shot with them. I don't have a clue what bullet they used. Reloads though.

I really liked the results, one tiny hole in and no exit, or blow up tissue or pelts. IF they were laid hole side up and didn't bleed out the mouth there wasn't any blood either. BUt, most were chest shots, so mouth blood was common.

Very few ran anywhere.
The only few times I shot one was at a fox at 100 ft or so. Blew him nearly in half, hit the spine behind the shoulder and blew up badly. No pelt on that one. The other time was four shots @ 400yds on P/dogs. Hit every shot. I was impressed with it. But, like normal, no bucks to buy one, so didn't.

I've stuck with .223 and fur loads .40gr v max. P/dogs depends on where the livestock is whether those, or el cheapo 55gr.

I figure anyone using an HMR on coyotes needs to be a fine shot, or close enough to make sure they're hit in the chest as I wouldn't bet a shoulder, or gut shot would kill them very cleanly.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.....Thank you guys ,, and thanks for th link ..I think the 17 would be perfact if it won,.t exit on a fox or blow a huge hole in them that would be perfact ...

posted Hide Post
I have shot the 17Rem a lot.On woodchucks it did not exit,and.when you picked them up their insides felt like jelly.I opened a few up and found that they were just mush.you couldnt tell of ANY chest parts,NONE.!!.
Im thinkin of geting a 17hmr for plinkin and hunting youts.Like anything else,i believe shot placement is what counts.Inside of 75yds or so chest shots,over that, head shots only.pan.

Posts: 5 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 26 December 2009Reply With Quote