New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling in Big Cats
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How hard is it to call for Bobcats or Cougars? My neighbor has a bobcat that is getting his Pheasants he raises and has tried to trap him with no luck. We also have a cougar in the area that killed a horse and has been spotted several times since then. I have called yotes and fox in but never tried any kind of cat. I was thinking of calling at night with a full moon like we have now. Would your standard cotton tail or jackrabbit call work or do you need something else? Any other tricks anyone has?

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I talked to a guy whose brother called in a Mt. Lion in the Black Hills, he was trying to to it and it worked. People call in Bobcats all the time you just have to be patient , they are not in a hurry to come in.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Calling bobcats is quite easy. It just takes patience as a cat will come at its own pace. I've had them show after 30-40 minutes of calling.

But a night with a full moon is the worst time to try it. Their vision is exceptional.

I recommend day-time calling. Late afternoons or early mornings are most productive, but I've called them at high noon as well.

As to trapping, if your neighbor knows anything about trapping canines, he should have no problem bagging the bobcat. Presentation is quite important in a set for a bobcat, and a visual attractant such as a feather will help. You don't need special lures, either, though I must admit having a few in my lure box. The same thing that works on 'yotes and fox will do fine for a 'cat.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9340 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. My neighbor really does not have any trapping experiance he tried to trap it in a live trap with bait inside. I found some Bobcat tracks where I bow hunt so I am hoping to call that cat in. I would set a trap but my luck I would catch a fox and I do not want to do that. Fox are just starting to come back around here so I do not hunt them. Another thing I have to ask is how solid is a Bobcat are they built like a fox or yote? I have a 30gr Berger MEF 220swift load that does not blow Jack rabbits up even at 50 yards would this load work for a Bobcat or would it blow it up? I know on yotes it does not even exit so it works well on them.

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not an expert but I have called in Bobcat and coyote. A rifle that will kill a coyote will have no problem with a bobcat. My favorite rifle is a 222. I use soft points like Nosler or corelokt. I never use a hollow-point.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use the real light wt bullets. Not over 40gr, if your shots will for sure be less than 150yds use the 35gr and they shouldn't exit and blow holes out the far side with body shots.

Far as trapping them with the box trap. Shouldn't be too hard. I caught five bobcats and a skunk in a homemade one in less than three months time. Used some freezer burned caribou the folks brought from Alaska. I'm in southern CO.

Didn't catch any coyotes, or fox and there's lot's of 'em in that area. Just make sure the traps tied down good so it can't be tipped over. Because they sure raise holy hell once the door snaps shut. We wrapped it with a blanket and carried it out 1/4 mile to the p/up. Cats quieted down right nice then. Til we did that they'd attack the cage whenever we got within five feet or so. Very vicious tempered animals.

IF you're gonna try calling in the moonlight. Don't do it alone if there's a lion around. That's all you need is to have one of them jump on your back.

I'd suggest using a remote electronic and set the speaker away from where you're hiding. have a partner at a short distance facing you so you both can watch the other guys back. Someone you know you can trust shooting almost right at you in case it needs to be done. Not many around like that. But, if you've got a cat coming up behind you and the other guy see's it you sure as hell want him to shoot it and not hit you.

Good luck, have fun and make a report here, ok?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5947 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Calling cats is not hard, seeing them is! They like quiet low calls and long calling sequences as a norm. Here's the link to my calling in a Mt. Lion this last season. Wasn't planning on one, just trying to liven up an otherwise uneventful deer hunt.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=132108565#132108565

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I call in the daytime and at night. Use an electronic call box with a cottontail in distress or a woodpecker. It is hard to see a bobcat in the daytime, normally you see them when you get up to leave. I carry a .221 Fireball and my buddy carries a 12 gauge shotgun with buckshot. We call up more coyotes than cat in the daytime. You should always set up with a tree or log at your back to break up your body outline and for protection. At night we have more luck calling up cats. It needs to be dark, with no moon. No wind is preferred but a little wind will not hurt you since cats don't pick up your scent like coyotes. I carry a .221 Fireball or a .204 and my buddy carries a .223 with low velocity hand loads to prevent fur damage.