New
Find
Notify
Tools

Call of a lifetime
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thought you guys in this forum would appreciate this. I've been calling varmints around these here lower 48 for about 45 years now. Mostly South Texas, but Maine, Idaho and others as well. Anyway to make a long story short, I was on a muzzleloader deer hunt in area 16 in New Mexico last week. We were in the area in the Gila National Forrest around Beaverhead. Deer hunting was great, deer spotting was poor. However we had an abundance of coyotes and I even had a nice fox come with in 35 yds before he saw me looking at him through my scope (yeah I know muzzleloader). So with only 2 days left, I picked up a furbearer tag (needed for fox) and decided I would do a little squeaking during the last 15 minutes of hunting time (sunset ends the time here). A squeaker was the only call I had with me. I was in a 7500' high meadow that had lots of sign of deer activity and started squeaking at 5:15. Nothing drastic, just a few squeaks and then wait a minute two. After about 10 minutes and my 3rd set of squeaks, I was slowly looking around when I saw a face in the tall grass looking at me at about 25 yards. I eased the rifle up and sure enough, I was staring eyeball to eyeball with a mountain lion. Now this caused a bit of a dilemma. I didn't have a lion tag and they are required two days prior to hunting/shooting one. So, all I could do was watch as this beautiful creature decided I was too big to eat and watch him bound off through the grass. My better half says it's too bad I don't have proof. I just laughed and told her "Honey, I don't need proof! I saw it!" Anyway just a short narrative of how 10 minutes of squeaking turned an otherwise uneventful deer hunt into an experience I will remember the rest of my life. A cougar at 25 yds during daylight with a hand call. Life doesn't get much better than that.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thaine: Wow - on that one!
I have been close to Mt. Lions in the wild but I have as yet to be in the right place, with the right tag, at the right time!
I hope to get a Mt. Lion this winter here in SW Montana. I already have that tag!
I wish you would have had a New Mexico tag!
Its legal to Hunt Mt. Lion by spot and stalk or still Hunting during the Big Game Season here in Montana. Then once the Big Game season is closed they open up the Hound Hunting for Mt. Lions and it runs for some time til the "quotas" are met.
Wish the "Hunting" for Deer would have been better for you as well!
Next year!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of NorthTexan
posted Hide Post
When I first began predator calling, I called in one. I did not know we had them in my neck of the woods, and had never seen one in the wild. They are fascinating to watch. Probably one of the most majestic and stealthy predators roaming the earth.

Posts: 32 | Location: Woodson, Texas | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Way To Go Thaine!!!!

That is so awsome, and what a memory. I've yet to see one while in possesion of a tag. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thaine - Congratulations! Many predator hunters go a lifetime without that experience.

Posts: 33 | Location: Dana Point, CA | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post
What an awesome experience. I have never seen anything other than tracks in the wild, but I buy a Nevada tag every year, hoping one day I'll be in the right spot at the right time.

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote